Can you help me with my dive research?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it but was surprised at the strong focus on wrecks. I guess I should have clicked on your link that describes your research.

Done. There's a recent thread stirring up controversy on this topic - should items be removed from wrecks. I'm sure you can get some great survey participants there too!

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to "like" all your respondents :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Done. I entered strongly disagree on all the questions regarding diving on wreck significant to your country. All wrecks should be treated with the same respect regardless of national origin.

Done. I entered strongly disagree on all the questions regarding diving on wreck significant to your country. All wrecks should be treated with the same respect regardless of national origin.

It might not be a fun question to be faced with, but it is a good question and requires some honesty and introspection.
For example, I can understand why Egyptians are sensitive about divers on the Salem Expess, and why Finns and Swedes are upset by the idea of divers on the Estonia. I don't understand those Finns and Swedes who fail to realize the parallel. Their wishes of should not seem more significant/reasonable than those of the Egyptians.

Personally I'm not against diving wrecks under most of these circumstances. I do not believe the dead care. The sensivity and respect we show is for the sake of the feelings of the living, and for our own sense of self.
Being required to look in the mirror is good for you.

Hi Dr Bill, The idea is to get all divers to respond and then to get more detailed info from wreck divers. Thanks for participating. Cheers
Jo

---------- Post added September 19th, 2014 at 10:30 AM ----------

Thanks for the feedback :)

---------- Post added September 19th, 2014 at 10:31 AM ----------

Lost my password so haven't been on for couple of days, working my way through the likes! Cheers. Jo

---------- Post added September 19th, 2014 at 10:34 AM ----------

Thanks for the feedback! Not everyone thinks that way :)

Hi Jo,

I have just responded to the survey. I kind of got the impression that wrecks should be protected, and wrecks can be dived, were assume to be mutually exclusive. I strongly believe wrecks can still be protected and be dived, so long as appropriate care is taken when diving (is there any point protecting something that noone will every see?) But i'm not sure my belief would be concluded from the questions asked. As an example, the Yongala is prob one of the best wreck sites in the world, it was not deliberately sunk, but it is illegal to penetrate it.

Also when responding to questions about qualifications you really need to consider diving a wreck vs penetrating a wreck - i.e. should additional qualifications be required (which there are for penetration). So i found these difficult to answer it depends on how you dive them as to whether quals should be required. Protection aside, its very dangerous to penetrate a wreck without appropriate training, therefore i had this in mind when responding to the questions, more so than protection of wrecks (which training is also very important for!!) . But i have a feeling its maybe not what you expecting the consideration to be?

There also laws in place in many areas about what can be removed or moved around a wreck with penalties etc. But i'm sure you know this!!

Great to see some surveys on it! But comments sections may help as i feel that too many assumptions could be made based on the answers, which aren't actually right. i.e. some of the questions were a bit leading.

But good luck - I wish you well!! Wreck diving is huge down in Melbourne. Maybe try get your survey out to some of the dive clubs down here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom