Can you help me choosing between these computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer one of your questions, you will not need to purchase the optional VPM-B. You can simply use the Petrel 2 in Recreational mode. Or better yet, learn about Buhlmann and Gradient Factors.

Oh, and at your planned depths, get Nitrox certified.

I know Atomix will take care immediately

dont be sure of that, just read a report that they refused to cover the cable connector piece when it went bad for someone. dont think Atomic service is as good as it used to be.

To answer one of your questions, you will not need to purchase the optional VPM-B. You can simply use the Petrel 2 in Recreational mode.
Thank you. That's the only answer lef that I needed to buy it.
Or better yet, learn about Buhlmann and Gradient Factors.
I will, there is a lot to learn and understand that it is impossible to do it in very short time. Thanks for your suggestion. I really appreciated.
Oh, and at your planned depths, get Nitrox certified.
Also I will, hope in this year. I have never used Nitrox, but I want to.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2015 at 08:24 PM ----------

dont think Atomic service is as good as it used to be.

Sad to hear (read) that.

If you don't want or "need" AI then Petrel without hesitation. I wouldn't buy a Cobalt, do a search on SB seems lots of repeat issues. The Suunto is stupid expensive and is really a recreational computer marketed as a Rec/"Tech" computer, it'll lock you out if you annoy it, so if moving into tech a Petrel is the way to go. Shearwaters customer service is second to none, Suuntos is not. Atomics customer service is also very good which you may well need should you buy a Cobalt. I recently sent SW an email about battery cap, mine was first version, they replied within hours, on a weekend, simply asking for my address. Five days later I received a new gold plated battery cap with a syringe of dielectric grease. Wow...I would never buy another brand. They did the same when I asked where I could get spare O rings. I live in Japan.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2015 at 11:05 PM ----------

PS I didn't ask them for anything.

Thank you very much guys. All of you. I just ordered the Petrel 2 from Dive Gear Express. It is time to learn about algorithms, gradiant factors, and many many other things that I will have to learn on the way of this wonderful hobby. CHEERS!

Thank you very much guys. All of you. I just ordered the Petrel 2 from Dive Gear Express. It is time to learn about algorithms, gradiant factors, and many many other things that I will have to learn on the way of this wonderful hobby. CHEERS!

Check your PMs.

Well done on your purchase of the Petrel 2

A lot of the negative Eon Steel comments are by those who haven't dived one and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I can't and won't argue against a Petrel 2 for technical diving because I've never owned a Petrel AND have no (meaningful) experience of technical diving below 40m

I'm always happy to give a balanced opinion on the Eon. My wife and I both have one with multiple transmitters between us we have almost 200 dives using it and I personally dive with 3 other people who have them so am aware of all their positive points along with the negative (generally subjective preferences)

I am in no way evangelical about the Eon I just think it gets some bad comments on this forum which for the most part are hearsay or people being fanatical about their choice. If anyone wants an unbiased opinion on the Eon they can always PM me I am in no way connected to the industry or the manufacturer and have no axes to grind about other products

Nothing posted in this thread about the Eon is opinion or heresay, it's fact. I don't need to dive one to know this. Like I've said before I'm sure the Eon a capable enough computer, and I am glad you like yours, the Petrel is just more capable.

Feel free to search around the forums for links to good, free resources. I've found other forums have huge arguments involving some of the leading experts in the world, and those are great to read once you have the basics down because they are more advanced. Mark Powell's "Deco for Divers" is great if you're interested. For learning Gradient Factors only, you could also go to Dive Rite's website and read the article I linked. Search for whatever terms you don't understand, and muster through it. It's one of the best articles I've read, and certainly the best GF article I've read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom