Can you help me choosing between these computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RicardoM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello there. As you can see, I am a totally newbie at diving, so it is with diver computers. I am looking for a new one, and I have in sight three of them: Petrel 2, Cobalt 2, and Stuunto Eon Steel with AI transmitter, actually in that order. Most of my dives are and will be with a single tank of air, but I do not discard using nitrox in the future, perhaps even trimix. Most of my diving it is in the Sea of Cortez and will be mostly at 65ft-90ft. The propose of my diving is for taking pictures (I have a DSLR with housing and strobes) and have fun. I would like to focus on the photography and dive kinda worry free. I would like to buy a computer that last at least 4 or 5 years of use without being obsolete, that’s why I pick up the next ones (also I really like the color screens). Now, about the computers:

PETREL 2: I have read too many good things about it, almost no one complains about it. The AA battery it is a relief. The lack of the AI it is what is stopping me of buying it right now. If I go Petrel way, Do you thing I will need/use the VPM-B algorithm for the kind of diving I do?

COBALT 2: Looks really nice. For what I have seen on videos and reading on forums, there is no easiest computer out there. The AI is a plus. But I have not decided in this one because I have read too many post about hardware failure. I know Atomix will take care immediately but sending it from Mexico, waiting for the return, and with the chance of an another failure, it lets me thinking. Another cons it is that I will have another hose on my regulator. There is no way I quit using my analog SPG, even if I go to the Cobalt 2.

STUUNTO EON STEEL: Price is as it came from mars. It has everything, but I have read that still has many bugs, and I know that they will be fixed soon. Also I didn’t like it that many people complains about the charging cable, battery issues, and a few other small issues.

At first I was looking for the H3 or T1 from Seabear/SubGravity, but I have not reading enough to decide if it is a yes or it is a no. Not many people have used yet these computers.

How much necessary or useful it is the AI ?
What do you think about that computers?

Any comment or suggestion will be welcome. Thanks,
Ricardo

Have you looked at datamask yet?

Of the three presented, the Petrel, hands down. I would stary away from proprietary versions of RGBM and Shearwater support is very good. I don't see any need for AI.

Have you looked at datamask yet?

Yes, when I started reading about computers like 2 months ago, but I discarded reading of it because I think it kills a great angle of view and looks that they are not so popular. When I bought my diving mask, I tried at least 20 of them until I found the most comfortable for my head/face shape. It will be awful waste almost 1 grand and have an uncomfortable mask. Anyway, I will dedicate a few hours reading about the Oceanic's datamask. Thank you, I really appreciate you reply.

Ricardo, it sounds like you have done a lot of research. It also sounds like you have misgivings re/ the reliability and quality of both the Cobalt and the Suunto.

It also seems your only issue with the Petrel is its lack of AI (the algorithm is fine).

Let me turn the question on you: do YOU want AI? do you have an AI computer now? could you live without it? have you thought after a dive, "I really need an AI computer?"

Of the three presented, the Petrel, hands down. I would stary away from proprietary versions of RGBM and Shearwater support is very good. I don't see any need for AI.

Thanks for your reply! So much of annoying is the RGBM algorithm?

---------- Post added August 31st, 2015 at 04:33 PM ----------

Ricardo, it sounds like you have dive a lot of research. It also sounds that you have misgiving re/ the reliability and quality of both the Cobalt and the Suunto.
Don't get me wrong. I know they are big and top-notch companies, but If I spend (or invest, depending of the point of view) a good amount of money, it is because I don't want to have big chances of asking warranties.

It also seems your only issue with the Petrel is its lack of AI (the algorithm is fine).
It is not really an issue, but it is a cool feature to have two units reading your left air (SPG and AI), and also have in the log the air consumption. It is not a must, but could be cool.

Let me turn the question on you: do YOU want AI? do you have an AI computer now? could you live without it? have you thought after a dive, "I really need an AI computer?"
Yes, I do want it if they are reliable. That's is why I discard Mares HD and Oceanic VTX, because all the issues written on the forums about their transmitters.
No I dont have an AI computer, or even a computer. I do the math on the tables or/and use the PADI's calculator, but is boring as hell. Do I need an AI? Nope, I dont need it, neither an AUDI A7, but it is cool to have it :wink: (just kidding) No, I dont need an AI computer, but could be useful to have it if it is reliable.

Thanks Andy!

---------- Post added August 31st, 2015 at 04:40 PM ----------

Petrel, or the Petrel, either one will do you well.

I also think that is the way to go, just want to be really sure.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2015 at 04:43 PM ----------

I also have read about the annoying of the RGBM algorithms. About the AI, I know there is no need, but it is an useful feature? It worth paying for it? How reliable is on the wireless models?

I haven't looked at the Steel yet but Suunto's are generically known for having a more conservative algorithm.

one thing, guys, I checked the manual, and the Petrel uses the "Bühlmann ZHL-16C with GFVPM-B and VPM-B/GFS (optional)."

what am I missing?

ok, got it. you're talking about the Suunto

never mind

Petrel. No question.

I would not hold my breath waiting for all the bugs to be worked out of the steel. They keep saying that more features are coming. More bugs to work out. Fix the ones you have then work on new features that do not introduce new bugs. Work the bugs out before you release the new features.

I just don't like consoles so for me the Cobalt is a non starter out of the gate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom