Can you go pro without "going all the way"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On one end of the spectrum are the people who "get their DM and then do nothing with it." On the other end are the folks that do DM on their way towards being an instructor.

What about folks in the middle?

Why am I doing my DM? Not 100% sure...

Partly to continue my dive education and become a better diver.

Partly because I wanted to get a crew spot on a local dive boat, and while DM isn't required, it's not bad to have as it shows a commitment to diving.

Partly to sort of get in to the scuba industry. I'm a marketer by trade, and the marketing of scuba diving in general - plus marketing of gear/travel/training - is very interesting to me. If I decided to retire from what I do know, I think I could make a go at some sort of scuba marketing venture.

Anyone else here gone/going pro without going all the way?

I'm doing my DM but don't really plan on being an instructor, and I know I'm not the only one. I am doing it mostly to learn a few new things (I just read the physics section in my Encyclopedia...it was rather interesting), but also to help out at my LDS whenever they need extra help. Don't really want to teach OW classes though.

So yea, I am going pro without going all the way. For the time being, at any rate.

I'm a lazy DM/AI. I have my AI rating, but I'm not actively pursuing instructor. I don't ***** myself out at the diveshop either. I usually wait for them to call me. :D

To me, teaching and diving are two separate things. Some people enjoy both. I enjoy letting someone else be responsible for the paperwork.

do it easy:
I don't ***** myself out at the diveshop either. I usually wait for them to call me. :D

Reminds me of a woman I once knew, when I asked if she would come home with me she said "What kind of girl do you think I am? Aren't you going to buy me a few drinks first!"

I got the AI and DM rating for several different reasons.

I do not want the responsibility of an instructor. Although, I have been asked to become an instructor several times, I have no interest in doing it at this time.

I enjoy helping out with classes and on boats. It's also neat when you give a new student some help and watch the lights turn on and they get it.

The discounts at the local LDS are nice too.

But, believe me, I'm not in it for the money.

creamofwheat:
(I just read the physics section in my Encyclopedia...it was rather interesting),

Rather interesting? Hmmmm...I experienced actual physical pain reading that part of the Encyclopedia....:wink:

Joe-Diver:
Rather interesting? Hmmmm...I experienced actual physical pain reading that part of the Encyclopedia....:wink:

Oh yea. I did as well. But that doesn't mean I didn't learn anything. :D

RJP:
On one end of the spectrum are the people who "get their DM and then do nothing with it." On the other end are the folks that do DM on their way towards being an instructor.

What about folks in the middle?

Why am I doing my DM? Not 100% sure...

Partly to continue my dive education and become a better diver.

Partly because I wanted to get a crew spot on a local dive boat, and while DM isn't required, it's not bad to have as it shows a commitment to diving.

Partly to sort of get in to the scuba industry. I'm a marketer by trade, and the marketing of scuba diving in general - plus marketing of gear/travel/training - is very interesting to me. If I decided to retire from what I do know, I think I could make a go at some sort of scuba marketing venture.

Anyone else here gone/going pro without going all the way?

May I suggest that if you are going to crew on local boat and you have a dm card,get the liability insurance..You just never know if you will need it..

oly5050user:
May I suggest that if you are going to crew on local boat and you have a dm card,get the liability insurance..You just never know if you will need it..

yup - that's part of the plan

This is really a great question for various reasons, and is a question that I often get asked as a working DM on a dive boat and an Instructor. When people ask what made you want to become a DM or an Instructor, I always say that it comes down to putting safer divers out there. With that being said it brings up the liability associated to being a PRO. My instructor, when I was just rescue summed it up best...If you ever just want to get into the water and enjoy your dive as just a diver "don't go pro."

This is something that I too share with my students and those that ask me about becoming a pro. I personally would not change the path that I have taken...I love teaching and love working as a DM on the boat. I guess the main point to stress here is that no matter whether you decide to assist as a DM, work on a dive boat or eventually become an instructor, you are liable...insured or not. What do I mean? Well, should you be around a situation and could have assisted and chose not to, and your name is recorded in the accident report you will be brought into the court case and possibly sued. This is something that should be in your mind every time you enter the water. At least it is in mine. I am a very safety conscious diver, DM and Instructor.

I think that continuing your education as a DM is a great step in making anyone a better diver, and the choice is always there to get insured and actually assist. The only thing to remember is that it does bring with it liability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom