Can you fail the Navigation adventure dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two things ...

First ... try changing how you look at the dive. Apprehension often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that inhibits you from doing what you are capable of. Stop worrying about passing or failing. Think of it as a game. The objective is to win, but even if you lose you have fun doing it.

Second ... you're buying training, not a certification card. If you don't get it right the first time ... and your instructor is any good at all ... it will identify things you need to work on. Your instructor can then discuss, and perhaps, practice those things with you until you get them right.

Relax, it's just a dive. We do this to have fun. Learning new skills is just part of the fun ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Did you ask for a refund?

He tried to teach me, but I didn't understand. Is that his fault, that he shouldn't get paid for his effort? He wasn't the only person who tried to explain it to me, but I just couldn't get it (I do now).

You should not stress over this, I would be willing to bet, if you don't meet the standard on the nav dive, your instructor will do some remedial work on land with you, and take you on the dive again, I know I have done this, and have actually had a student who I remediated and did the dive again, that the tips and help actually now help them in their car now that she has a car with a compass in it.

He tried to teach me, but I didn't understand. Is that his fault, that he shouldn't get paid for his effort? He wasn't the only person who tried to explain it to me, but I just couldn't get it (I do now).

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your original comment - I took at that you didn't manage to do the skills, and the instructor didn't care and gave you the card anyway.

fyi ...if your course out is less than 180 degrees you would add 180 to find your back course if your course out is more than 180 degrees you would subtract 180 for your back course

Ah thanks guys, ya was a while back now but my instructor said I passed with flyingcolours lol was super easy , nav used to be my weakpoint because I didn't trust the compass but it is now a very strong skill in my dives and I'm working now towards my rescue diver then diveMaster qualifications

AOW just gives you a "taste" of navigating, and very simple in-water nav exercises to perform. Don't worry about passing the AOW Nav Course... DO worry about being able to actually navigate in the "real" world.

Best wishes.

Navigation is not about passing a test.....It is about knowing where you are and getting from point A to B....and maybe to C.

Practice....Practice...Practice.......Underwater you are in a whole different world.....getting lost is not a good option! Practice.

Good diving

Edit: nevermind, an old topic :)

Back
Top Bottom