Can you explain TYPE I & TYPE II hits to a nondoc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you can already see, there are overlapping interpretations of the types even here in the same post. This is just another illustration of why the "types" are going away.

By the way, it is quite typical that people brought to a chamber with complaints of joint pain are also found to have other neurological problems upon closer examination. This is another instance where the line between the so-called types gets blurred.

In the end, more physicians are describing these injuries by the affected parts of the body than by type as time passes. It's not just as simple as only Type I or Type II anymore.

ScubaDadMiami:
Thanks. Do you know in what year this book was published?

It is one of those timeless classics. He gives you a number of "what if" situations. They are extremely thought provoking. You will be thinking "I did not know that could happen!"

There is a section in which he discusses the DCI nomenclature issue, referred to in this thread. His analysis is still decades ahead of current diving science.

Hello Mike:

Mike Ault writes, “There was some mild joint pain in the elbows but I attribute that to helping the dive master carry the tanks to the boat and back.”

Stress Assisted Nucleation :sprite10:
As Dr D has remarked on many occasions, hauling heavy gear around right before and right after a dive is a good way to create the micronuclei that can grow into bubbles and DCS. It is possible that the soreness was from a decompression problem.

One should avoid hauling stuff around. :bomb: That is why we all need butlers when going diving.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco:
Hello Mike:

Mike Ault writes, “There was some mild joint pain in the elbows but I attribute that to helping the dive master carry the tanks to the boat and back.”

Stress Assisted Nucleation :sprite10:
As Dr D has remarked on many occasions, hauling heavy gear around right before and right after a dive is a good way to create the micronuclei that can grow into bubbles and DCS. It is possible that the soreness was from a decompression problem.

One should avoid hauling stuff around. :bomb: That is why we all need butlers when going diving.

Ok, I will let the DMs do the work from now on! The pain went away after about an hour or so, however the rash stuck around for about a week. No other symptoms manifested themselves.

Mike

Dr Deco:
As Dr D has remarked on many occasions, hauling heavy gear around right before and right after a dive is a good way to create the micronuclei that can grow into bubbles and DCS.

I recall you have also said that mild excercise may be beneficial. Is there a corelation between an individual's personal fitness level or strength and the amount of excercise/weight that is permissible? That is to say, is perceived effort a factor?

For example, how would the limits for a healthy young man who can normally throw AL80s around with ease but gets winded running up a flight of stairs be different than for a 50 year old grandmother with limited muscle mass but who also runs marathons twice a year?

Hello derwood…:

Perceived Exercise

What evidence exists from NASA research and a study by some French scientists indicates that physical fitness (usually measured as maximal oxygen uptake) is the best correlate with least risk of DCS for divers. This may be a reflection of increased capillarity (large number of capillaries per volume of muscle tissue) and thus better ability to offgas dissolved nitrogen. Perception exertion is probably not a valid test, although I am not aware of any studies relating exercise performed by strong and weak individuals versus outcome of decompression. It would be an interesting study.

The Bad News

Physical fitness does not necessarily correlate with appearance or strength. I believe that many are aware that many body builders are not in good cardiovascular shape. At least, this was true a few decades ago. Then, circuit training was revised and lifters were told to move through the circuits quickly, if they wanted to get the benefits of cardiovascular training. :wink:

Thus the runners (the 50 year old grandmother) would be in better shape with respect to diving and offgasing during decompression. [Since she could probably talk someone youngster into lugging her gear :eyebrow: , she would not need to be strong. There is always something to be said for age.]

Dr Deco:
Since she could probably talk someone youngster into lugging her gear :eyebrow: , she would not need to be strong. There is always something to be said for age.
My mother's reasoning exactly :rofl:

Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom