Can you dive @ Point of Rocks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blazinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

My wife and I will be visiting her sister in Tampa, end of May, and I want to find some more dive options than last time I went (went out with Tanks-a-lot, and had a great dive, and dived the Regina from Sea Trek divers front shore @ Anna Maria Island).

From my research, and here on SB, it looks like I missed the Spanish Rocks, which I will try.

But I also found the snorkeling site called Point of Rocks that looks pretty nice from this link http://beachhunter.net/siesta_key_beachfront/point_of_rocks.htm and I plan to snorkel it, but want to see if it might be fun to bring my gear to snorkel and dive occasionally while snorkeling.

I'm from the muddy, cold water capital of america so diving in the warm shallows beyond the rock rifts to even ten feet still seems worth strapping on a tank to me, since I'm so dive deprived right now.

Anyone out there dive Point of Rocks?

Also, it looks like Fort Dade at Egmont Key would be a quick dive thrill without an hour boat ride out (Gulf sites), but it appears that it is only open to private boats. I would like to take a snorkel charter out to the fort ruins but they likely won't allow diving. Are there any charters to egmont key that allow diving? Of course if anyone has a private boat and would like to take me and my wife, I would supply all the beer and food, maybe some high-end color-changing marine critter sculpture like in my sig line.

Another Egmont Key video that goes under ledges and such - kinda cool:
long vid - fast forward to the dive.

Last edited:
I think there's a ferry that runs from Ft. Desoto out to Egmont Key. I know the ruins aren't that far off the beach so you could swim there. I would put my snorkeling gear in a backpack, hop the ferry and go from there. Here's some more info.

Egmont Key State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have never heard of any of these locations, but the ruins sound interesting. I have a boat and if I can find time maybe we can hook up! Toward the end of May I will start getting back to a normal work load!

as far as Point of Rocks goes - you can dive but you there is no parking anywhere close. Hiking with snorkel gear is ok, but SCUBA is not so practical. The site is a shallow rocky area with lots of undercuts, juvenile marine life etc. Depths only to about 15' as far as I remember. You'll definitely want to bring a flag.
You might check out a better spot calledSpanish Rocks which is not far from the Regina. Its a good beach dive.

Thanks for the link Hansonian. I already almost booked a snorkel trip, but want to see if any allowed diving off the snorkel charter (unlikely).

"have never heard of any of these locations, but the ruins sound interesting. I have a boat and if I can find time maybe we can hook up! Toward the end of May I will start getting back to a normal work load!" - Yeah, Tampa has some interesting sites I never knew about til I did some web searching, maybe we can connect end of May - (sent you a PM).

I'll have to skip the dive gear for Point of Rocks if its a hike - I'll save the gear for Spanish Rocks - Thanks Jetfish.

Tanks-A-Lot or Dive Clearwater sounds like a trip I'll make anyway.

Capt. Rod w/ Dive Clearwater is a far better charter in my opinion. I have been out with him several times and had a fantastic time! I havent been out with him for a few months so I am READY to go soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom