Can you coil your reg hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I used to say to my now X when she questioned me about something: "I know it's true, because I just made it up" :D

Probably NOT the only reason she became my X, but she sure did not appreciate my sense of humor!

I don't buy this. New hoses come coiled (not tight but coiled nonetheless) my reg have been loosely coils while stored for 4 years with no issues. What is your opinion based on, and what is your recommended alternative?

It is based on having had some 7ft reg hoses coiled and then having bends develop and my alternative is to hang them on a hanger and let the hose lay straight.

I don't buy this. New hoses come coiled (not tight but coiled nonetheless) my reg have been loosely coils while stored for 4 years with no issues. What is your opinion based on, and what is your recommended alternative?

Now you tell me. I dive a long hose and just custom built an 7'6" wide closet to accommodate my regs for straight storage. Next you are going to tell me that I did not have to order that custom 7'6" suitcase to accommodate them....

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 09:01 AM ----------

It is based on having had some 7ft reg hoses coiled and then having bends develop and my alternative is to hang them on a hanger and let the hose lay straight.

Unless you lay the regs on the ground, they will not hang flat and will therefore get bent anyway. I agree that winding them tight is bad but I really have seen no ill effect to how I transport and store my long hose. When mass volumes of hose is produced, it is wound and stored. A little memory will not kill us underwater so I really think it is all for nothing. Storing them straight is not necessarily a bad thing, but I for one do not think it is necessary.

However, hanging or winding a reg in such a manner that there is any stress on a connection is always a bad thing.

I second being cautious with the bend at the connections. I had a rubber hose split at the connection to the first stage in exactly the area that was most stressed in my regulator bag. And that was with a hose protector. Fortunately I read scubaboard and knew to regularly check my hoses. :D

That's another reason to pack your reg in a carry on instead of checked luggage. If you're crossing the equator, you can re-coil it in flight.

That's ridiculous!

There's no need to recoil in flight. (You just turn your carryon over when crossing the equator.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That's ridiculous!

There's no need to recoil in flight. (You just turn your carryon over when crossing the equator.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This is why I come to SB. Such good advice, for free!

Like, when I once asked the best place to stick a snorkel! :shocked:

Now you tell me. I dive a long hose and just custom built an 7'6" wide closet to accommodate my regs for straight storage. Next you are going to tell me that I did not have to order that custom 7'6" suitcase to accommodate them....

What about your inflator/dry suit/maybe HP house that may be oriented 180* away from the primary 2nd stage? I think your closet is a good 2 feet too narrow. If you really cared about your regs you'd store them inside a good 10 feet of PVC pipe with threaded end caps to keep the dust and spiders out. May God have mercy on your soul if you have any hoses at 90* as well.

What about your inflator/dry suit/maybe HP house that may be oriented 180* away from the primary 2nd stage? I think your closet is a good 2 feet too narrow. If you really cared about your regs you'd store them inside a good 10 feet of PVC pipe with threaded end caps to keep the dust and spiders out. May God have mercy on your soul if you have any hoses at 90* as well.

Isn't that what these are for?

I find that they store much better when the hoses are made into a monkey's fist.

Then, If I ever feel the urge to get James Bond Villan on someone, I am ready.

Reactions: Eff
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom