Can you change dive computer battery yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would submit that computers fail, period. Computers that rely on consumable power supplies and environmental sealing are going to fail more than office computers, and, yes really, even a plain server in a business office is expected to fail (have memory corruption) simply because of random cosmic ray strikes four times each year. More at high altitudes.

So really, if you are diving with a computer, it should be a matter of routine to have fallbacks. Either fallback computers, or dive tables and the training to switch over to them. and arguably that would also apply to "take some notes" down with you, so you don't have to abort a dive if the computer quits.

Changing batteries? Just a matter of who you are. A battery is a "wood block" and if you never stacked those in kindergarten, you may not want to begin now. O-rings are equally similar, but you need to know what a good one looks like, what a failing one looks like, what lubricant is proper or outright wrong....To someone who has done this a hundred times it is about as hard as making a cup of tea. To someone who has never done it for the first time, come on now, who doesn't know someone who actually roasted a chicken or turkey for the first time--without removing that plastic bag full of giblets?

If your comfort level does not include fiddling with the inside of small machines [sic] then by all means, don't do it. People call the AAA all the time because they have a flat tire. In some countries, you actually have to demonstrate that you CAN change a flat, or you can't get a drivers license.

Doesn't make it right or wrong. I can even MAKE o-rings, but I've got no talent for speaking Mandarin or about 650 other languages. Maybe I got those priorities backwards?

The o-ring size for the following Suunto computers is all the same: Cobra, Vytec, Gekko, Zoop, Vyper, Vyper 2, Vyper Air, and Helio2

It is a size 026, 70 durometer nitrile (buna) o-ring.

The dimensions are as follows: 1-1/4"ID, 1-3/8"OD, 1/16" width

You used to be able to purchase a bag of 25 of them for around $2 on amazon...now they sell them in a bag of 100 for about $8.

I made a tool to make it easier to open the batter compartment by cutting an old spoke, bending it into a "V" and then bending the tips over to make a small pin spanner. I keep the spoke tool and spare o-rings in a film canister in my save-a-dive kit.

The battery is a CR2450 battery which can be purchased just about anywhere.

The instruction manual, which can be found online as a PDF, has instructions for the user to replace the battery, and there used to be some videos on youtube as well.

I would not re-use the o-ring as it could have taken a set as it is compressed when the battery compartment is shut and if it is out of round it could leak if re-used.

If you have a Zoop Novo or Vyper Novo computer, the battery size is still CR2450, but my research indicates the o-ring size is 025, 70 durometer, and again can be purchased on Amazon.com in bags of 100 for around $8.

The Zoop and Vyper Novo computers have a different case back than their predecessors. The battery compartment is held in place by 3 T-7 Torx screws. Be careful when re-tightening the screws to avoid over-tightening/stripping the screw holes. There are a few videos on youtube that demonstrate how to change the battery on these computers as well.

-Z

Last edited:
I would add that when purchasing anything in poly bags from an Amazon merchant? KNOW THE MERCHANT. Almost anyone can become an Amazon merchant, with the result that Amazon, ebay, other onlines venues have been flooded by counterfeits and outdated stock for many products. For instance, look at "genuine" Duracell, Eveready, or Rayovac batteries on Amazon. Look at the expiry dates. Now compare them to the expiry dates in an big box store, there is often a 2x difference. Same thing on medicines, including antiseptics.
For some things, a reputable source like Grainger or McMaster can be worth the small extra cost.

I would add that when purchasing anything in poly bags from an Amazon merchant? KNOW THE MERCHANT. Almost anyone can become an Amazon merchant, with the result that Amazon, ebay, other onlines venues have been flooded by counterfeits and outdated stock for many products. For instance, look at "genuine" Duracell, Eveready, or Rayovac batteries on Amazon. Look at the expiry dates. Now compare them to the expiry dates in an big box store, there is often a 2x difference. Same thing on medicines, including antiseptics.
For some things, a reputable source like Grainger or McMaster can be worth the small extra cost.

Although I have not had any problems with any of the o-rings that I have purchased off of Amazon, I completely agree with your sentiment above. Being stationed overseas makes it a little more difficult to obtain nit-noid stuff like o-rings without getting gouged by a dive shop. For some reason DIY is a rare mentality in western Europe, especially Belgium...where people seem to enjoy paying high prices for stuff and services that can otherwise obtain and easily do themselves.

My intent on mentioning Amazon was less about a recommendation to buy from them and more to indicate that the required o-ring sizes are readily available. Again, I agree with your point above completely.

-Z

Z-
I admit I haven't been to Europe for a while, but back then it was crawling with indoor plumbing and I rashly assume that means there must be plumbers there too. Going further out on a limb, plumbing supply stores and other places that surely sell kits of o-rings like the ones in the States do.
It could just be one of those cultural things, you know, you put the plumbing supplies behind the counter so they children don't sneak a peek at them?(G)
Or perhaps, the German carmakers have had regulations passed. You know, "You may only purchase one ring at a time, from an authorized distributor, after providing proper identification. Your papers please!"
Just saying, you know. These days, so many suppliers cheat on the stupidest things...Or perhaps, the phrase "o-ring" just doesn't translate, much less across non-roman languages?(G)

Z-
I admit I haven't been to Europe for a while, but back then it was crawling with indoor plumbing and I rashly assume that means there must be plumbers there too. Going further out on a limb, plumbing supply stores and other places that surely sell kits of o-rings like the ones in the States do.
It could just be one of those cultural things, you know, you put the plumbing supplies behind the counter so they children don't sneak a peek at them?(G)
Or perhaps, the German carmakers have had regulations passed. You know, "You may only purchase one ring at a time, from an authorized distributor, after providing proper identification. Your papers please!"
Just saying, you know. These days, so many suppliers cheat on the stupidest things...Or perhaps, the phrase "o-ring" just doesn't translate, much less across non-roman languages?(G)

No, its more like there are s$#@y little home improvement stores everywhere here that sell lots of per-packaged stuff. O-rings are sold in a kit with other parts and those parts are specific to a specific type of plumbing fixture such as a toilet or sink etc. There are plumbing specialty shops but they certainly don't have the bit piece parts on shelves for customers to browse because these shops cater to professionals who know exactly what they are looking for, know what to ask for and dont care about price because they are billing it to the customer. These shops tend to only be open in the earlier part of the day because that is when professionals need to pickup up parts for the jobs they are going to. At best the ****** home improvement stores close at around 6:30pm...which makes things difficult if you work until 6pm have to get to your car get off base, and then fight evening traffic to get to as store that is now closing, where the staff have no idea what they carry, and they probably don't have what you need especially in the quality or size you need. Lots of stuff just not the right stuff. If you can find the quality parts you need at other than a "specialty" shop such as an o-ring kit you will almost certainly pay a ton of money for it and most of the stuff inside will be useless. Shops are not open on Sundays, and the specialty shops like the plumbing supply store for professionals is not typically open on Saturdays because the professional plumbers are not working on the weekends.

Because of all this, most of the local divers tend to say f%$k it and just let the dive shops rape their wallet for stuff like this. The Americans get a bit sick and tired of hearing the catch phrase "Not Possible" and give up on supporting the local economy and use more convenient sources such as Amazon.com.

This may seem like a bunch of excuses....I assure you it is not. I speak french fairly well, but here in Belgium there are actual obstacles to getting things done unless you are really plugged in...and most of the locals will pay the extra to not have to be. Most won't replace the battery themselves, and certainly won't do regulator work themself due to the fact that if something happens the warranty (in the case of the battery) or insurance (in the case of a regulator) will not cover/pay if something goes wrong because one is not certified to do the work.

Here is a an anecdote about a trip to find a hair brush:
I have a fellow American GI that was asked by his wife to run out and buy her a hair brush. He does not speak french so he stops by my house and asks me to accompany him. We hop in the car and head over to a small strip mall. We stop at what would be the equivalent of a "dollar store"...I ask where their hair brushes are...they don't sell them. We go next door to the supermarket...they sell them but in the isle they are completely out of stock. We then walk across the parking lot to a women's hair salon....there are three women tending to 3 customers. One women steps over to the counter to inquire what we want, and when I tell her we are looking to buy a hair brush she replies that they do not sell them. I ask where we can go to buy one and her response was "I don't know, I don't live in this city". She starts to walk away saying good bye....we ask that perhaps one of her 2 colleagues knows where we can purchase a hair brush and instead of asking them she replies she doesn't know, shrugs her shoulders and walks back to engage the client in her chair. My friend, at that point just said screw it and opened a browser window from his phone, pulled amazon and in less than 30 seconds had purchased a hair brush that arrived 5 days later.

After living here for 6 years, I have hundreds of stories like the one above.

It is not that you can't get stuff here, its that even with command of the language (I am semi-fluent), it is just a huge pain the arse.

Visiting a country is not the same as living in one....often one visits at the time of year that the weather is good, stays in and around the areas that specifically cater to tourists, and have limited needs that are typically far less than someone who is residing in a country (you typically are not in the business of fixing or replacing a shower head in a hotel, but you may be if you are living here).

-Z

Not long ago I posted about my venerable Genesis hockey-puck computer failing due to a flooded battery compartment. Advice I got made me fear it might be a goner, but armed with a new mail-order battery and O-ring (only twelve bucks!) I got away with it-- it lit up with a normal display, and worked fine on my most recent dives. I'd always changed my battery myself, but never changed out the o-ring, though I did look at it and added silicone. Lesson learned! When in doubt (or even not), new o-ring. It costs what, a couple of bucks? False economy trying to stretch the old one.

If it's of use, here's the thread:
Note to self--change computer battery compartment o-ring more frequently than never..

When in doubt (or even not), new o-ring. It costs what, a couple of bucks? False economy trying to stretch the old one.

I agree with the false economy sentiment. An o-ring is only a couple of bucks if buying from a dive shop. If bought elsewhere, the cost of a single o-ring should be around 8 to 15 cents.

A Duracell CR2450 battery costs around $3 or less. So even the $10-$15 kits that come with battery and o-ring are quite a bit over priced.

I have not tested it, but it is my understanding that the Suunto puck style computers (pre Vyper Novo and Zoop Novo) have the battery compartment sealed off from the rest of the computer's internals so if the battery compartment floods it does not kill the computer. One should be able to remove the discharged/shorted battery, flush with fresh water, dry, replace battery and it should continue working.

I am not sure if the Vyper and Zoop Novo battery compartments are sealed like their predecessors. Perhaps somebody else knows and can confirm.

-Z

Update: buy am Suunto zoop battery replacement kit 10€ and watch YouTube on how to change it yourself. I did it fine and had no bubbles.

Reactions: Ana
The o-ring size for the following Suunto computers is all the same: Cobra, Vytec, Gekko, Zoop, Vyper, Vyper 2, Vyper Air, and Helio2

It is a size 026, 70 durometer nitrile (buna) o-ring.

The dimensions are as follows: 1-1/4"ID, 1-3/8"OD, 1/16" width

You used to be able to purchase a bag of 25 of them for around $2 on amazon...now they sell them in a bag of 100 for about $8.

I made a tool to make it easier to open the batter compartment by cutting an old spoke, bending it into a "V" and then bending the tips over to make a small pin spanner. I keep the spoke tool and spare o-rings in a film canister in my save-a-dive kit.

The battery is a CR2450 battery which can be purchased just about anywhere.

The instruction manual, which can be found online as a PDF, has instructions for the user to replace the battery, and there used to be some videos on youtube as well.

I would not re-use the o-ring as it could have taken a set as it is compressed when the battery compartment is shut and if it is out of round it could leak if re-used.

If you have a Zoop Novo or Vyper Novo computer, the battery size is still CR2450, but my research indicates the o-ring size is 025, 70 durometer, and again can be purchased on Amazon.com in bags of 100 for around $8.

The Zoop and Vyper Novo computers have a different case back than their predecessors. The battery compartment is held in place by 3 T-7 Torx screws. Be careful when re-tightening the screws to avoid over-tightening/stripping the screw holes. There are a few videos on youtube that demonstrate how to change the battery on these computers as well.

-Z
I think your info is correct but the screws are T-6 Torx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom