Can this work as an IP Test Gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tzetzo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just inherited this piece of equipment:
Actron®

Was just wondering if it could be used as an IP test gauge for SCUBA purposes? Maybe someone already has.
It's in the same pressure range (0-200 psi).
I realize that it is sold as a tester kit for car engine, but pressure is pressure right? Or am I wrong?

It will need the right size fitting for the LP ports, but apart from that do you guys think it could work?

Cheers,

Tzetzo

Short answer is yes. I use my craftsman compression test gauge for my IP gauge. Would be a little better if the scale went to 250 or 300 but it will do.

Agreed, it will work but for best accuracy and easier reading, a scale in the 180 psi max is a better choice. You want gauges to work about 2/3 of their range. The one in the photo is 300. You will also have to adapt it to fit a reg and personally I prefer to have a 175 psi popoff valve in line with my initial IP gauge. When...... and believe me it's when not if, you have a reg with a runaway IP it opens the valve instead of blowing something. I use a cheap Northern tool gauge rigged with a popoff valve for initial testing to prevent slamming of my high quality gauge then swap to the high quality one for final testing or looking for creeping regs when I am pretty sure the reg will act like it should.

Thanks for all the quick responses guys.
I'm glad that it's something that I could potentially use.

And herman, you're right, it does go up to 300psi. I must have mistyped it.

Cheers.

You can put together a fairly good IP gauge from air compressor parts and an old LP hose for around $10-15 USD if you have a cheap tool place like Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. Not exactly lab grade but since the exact IP is not critical they are fine for home use.

Back
Top Bottom