Can someone suggest a Thailand trip on AA miles and Marriott points?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okiediver1

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking to do this, but are infamiliar with this territory......anyone have any suggestions? thanks so much!

What time of year?

Oct - May Andaman side
May - Oct Gulf of Siam side

Are you committed to diving most of the holiday? I would suggest Bangkok for a few days and then heading to a dive destination. You could stay at the JW Marriott on Sukhumivt by Nana BTS. If in the right season you could then fly to Phuket from Bangkok and stay at a Marriott for a day or two and dive on a Similan's liveaboard. Off gas on Phuket with a Marriott stay after the liveaboard and fly back via Bangkok without spending another night there. It think 2-3 days will be enough on the front end.

Post more about the time of year and what you want RE: diving and others will offer suggestions as well.

I would recommend the Andaman Side year round, because of the IMO better diving here.

But: the Marriott on Phuket is about one hour each way from the departure point of the daytrip boats. So either bear it out, or, as suggested by Arizona, consider a liveaboard.

On Phuket Island there are also three Marriott Courtyard properties where you can use your points. They are located at Surin, Kamala, and Patong Beaches. The Patong one would be the most convenient if you are considering daytrip diving from Phuket.

I echo the recommendation that you come to the Andaman side during the time of year you can dive from a liveaboard to the Similans and Surins Islands National Parks. This is the best diving Thailand has to offer.

I would suggest you log on to the AA site and first see if you can use your miles for a air ticket with them or one of their partner airlines. I think you will find it quite difficult. I have several hundred thousand miles with Northwest and they have flights that go from the USA to Bangkok and I am lucky to find air miles flight when I look even if 9-12 months in advance.

If you happen to be lucky and can get a flight then check back to see where that time of the year is good for diving.

Then you can start to see if any of the Marriott chain will let you use your points with them for a stay at that time.

Good Luck and hope you do not get frustrated easily.

John

Theres a very nice Mariot hotel in Pattaya, Excelent nightlife and restaurants, all very reasonably priced.
But the divings crap.

I would just like to add something to Arizonas last post.
In the Eastern gulf (koh chang), this is best avoided during the months may to october, excessive rainfall, poor viz rough seas and strong currents. Most of the dive shops close during this period.
Great Island to visit though, not sure if there is a Mariot Hotel there.

But the diving is crap.

Your post would have had a much more positive ring to it if you had ended it like this:
" The diving in Pattaya is ok but not as good as in places like Koh Tao and Koh Samui (on the East Coast) and Krabi or Phuket (on the West Coast)".

Your post would have had a much more positive ring to it if you had ended it like this:
" The diving in Pattaya is ok but not as good as in places like Koh Tao and Koh Samui (on the East Coast) and Krabi or Phuket (on the West Coast)".

Again I must agree with you, but grammar never was my strong point at school.
maybe that's why you misunderstand me so much?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom