Can someone please identify this 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will be interesting to see what version of the balanced poppet comes out of one the last 156's made. I would think maybe the rivet style or maybe even the s-wing with one o-ring. I wonder if they printed up some of the old 109 covers till they ran out and went to all satin chrome?

I suspect you are correct, in that they used all old stock parts before switching to total satin.I'll take it apart and report back, should be here tomorrow. Now I have to try and find another of the same which could be difficult as this is the first of its type I've ever seen.

It arrived today. Wow, NOS, perfect condition, updated 1st stage, seat saving key, original box, certificate abd booklet. I'm a very happy man. It's beautiful and "feels" lighter than the 109. I can't believe I got it for $176, I also can't believe no one else bought it or even bid on it.
IMG_3569.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3571.JPG

Are you going to admire it on land or for diving?

Are you going to admire it on land or for diving?

I'm going to find another and will dive it. It won't be my daily reg set but dive it I will, perhaps during the summer season on calm days. I'm not worried about it picking up a few scratches, that's unavoidable, but I've seen so many regs that look like they've been dragged behind a truck, no idea how people damage their regs so badly. I'm a regular diver, at least weekly and all my regs are in good condition regardless of age.

word of "caution" - the lettering will disappear over time.....

She's a beauty!!!!!!! A couple generations put together, but about a sweet as it can get. You stole that one!!!!! NICE!!!!

Thanks, Bob, I pay too much and then lose too much when I sell but this one I think was a good deal. Yes, it seems to have been put together by SP using the last stock parts they have being not all satin and not all chrome. The orifice is the white plastic one so I think it's a very late model I hooked it up to a tank and the second stage is working fine, the 1st stage is leaking out of the HP side end cap. No matter. Like I said I can't believe no one else bid, was expecting it to go for a silly price, I placed my bid and didn't even bother checking as was sure I'd lose, was surprised to get notification that I had won it, I was very happy that day and even happier when it arrived and I opened the box.

Last edited:
I have an older face plate, I might put that one on and just keep the new one in a box for another day. I have the parts on hand to convert it to the S-wing poppet and a new orifice and curved legged lever so will do that at some stage but given it's currently working I'll dive it as is until it isn't.

word of "caution" - the lettering will disappear over time.....

She's a beauty!!!!!!! A couple generations put together, but about a sweet as it can get. You stole that one!!!!! NICE!!!!
Thanks for that info!
I have a chrome balanced adjust in like new condition. I think I will take the printed ring off and replace it with a chrome 109 ring when I dive with it.
I wonder what year they switched to satin finish? My chrome second stage came with the original parts list/diagram and it is revision R and dated 1997.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom