Can someone identify this odd creature please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last weekend I had four dives with at least one GSB. The first female was HUGE... it took three much smaller males to "tend" her. There were three of them at Torqua Springs Sunday with two males battling one another for the lady. I filmed one of the males biting the other male twice as he chased him away. It made for good "theater."

By the way, Ken and Claudette and the rest of the Wrinkles crew saw EIGHT GSB's in the dive park at one time last weekend and a total of 13 I believe over the weekend.

drbill:
By the way, Ken and Claudette and the rest of the Wrinkles crew saw EIGHT GSB's in the dive park at one time last weekend and a total of 13 I believe over the weekend.

Seems like Catalina is the place to go, for the best chance to see them. Up here in the northern Channel Islands, they are seen, but, not that often. It sure was a nice treat seeing this one.

Rick

The pic is in California... check.
There is kelp in the pic... check.
It purports to have an "odd creature... no, actually it took three posts to get to see California's oddest sea dweller! :D

I have to admit that I can't wait to get back there Bill!

Hey, Billy... I've heard one diver say she had seen 35 GSB's off Anacapa at one time. I know that island is a hot spot.

Rick... I think these big fish are just too smart to spend too much time in the colder waters of the northern Channel Islands when they could bask in the warm waters of Anacapa or Catalina!

Pete... if you're referring to this old geezer in your post, keep in mind that even I am a youngun' compared to some of these fish which are over 100 years old. Yep, the kelp is holding up fairly well so far this summer. Look forward to your return.

frank_delargy:
It was dry before he saw the fish!

Thats great, but is he dry during the dive and after seeing the fish? :D

Prof.Bill, are these bass found in Monterey/Carmel waters?

The La Jolla marine preserve is another good place to look for Black Sea Bass. That is if the poachers stay out.

Dr. Bill I met you this past weekend on Saturday 7-21-07 on the King Neptune. It was great talking with you and thank you for telling me about this and some other websites.

I love big black sea bass as much as the next socal diver, but I also love diving the Caribbean. The Turks and Caicos were great for huge gr:D uper when I went there last week. Those Nassau groupers are so friendly, they let you scratch their chins and they follow you around begging for handouts. It's the funniest thing ever. The big black bass seem more aloof to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom