Can someone ID this nudibranch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purple spotted sea goddess looks right to me. Good find!

Jose from Blue Angel found one of those for us in May. It was so small I couldn't see it with my 50+ eyes. So I just stuck the camera down there and focused & shot.

I missed the focal point, so it came out quite fuzzy, but it was definitely one of those nudies.

Jose from Blue Angel found one of those for us in May. It was so small I couldn't see it with my 50+ eyes. So I just stuck the camera down there and focused & shot.

I missed the focal point, so it came out quite fuzzy, but it was definitely one of those nudies.
There are such things as prescription masks, bifocals even. I was getting worried before my last trip, but my optometrist turned me on to multi-focal contacts.

Glad the multifocal contacts worked for you Greg. They didn't work for me. Carrying a magnifying glass works for me!

I'm no expert, but I searched for it and this is what I think I've discovered…

The image you captured appears to be 'Hypselodoris olgae'. The image that you linked in post #3 is not the same as the critter you photographed - that link does display 'Hypselodoris Marci'.

For more detail...
If you go to the link below, then scroll to the post dated June 25, 2007, you'll see a comment and photo submission. The critter - in this particular submission -appears to be identical to the one you photographed. Colors on rhinophores, even the color/pattern variation mid body. Bill Rudman responds to the poster explaining what this critter is.

In seaslugforum, some where initially calling it 'Hypselodoris Marci'. Bill Rudman then determined it was not 'Hypselodoris Marci' and temporarily called it 'Hypselodoris sp.5'. Subsequently, it was named 'Hypselodoris olgae'.

Here's the link (scroll down to June25, 2007 submission):
The Sea Slug Forum - Hypselodoris olgae

If you read the entire page, you'll find links to 'Hypselodoris Marci' on seaslugforum - which doesn't look like the nudi you photographed in Cozumel, but which do look like the nudi linked in your post #3.

I went over to your flickr page and clicked around - nice work!

Back
Top Bottom