Can someone explain the ins and outs of drysuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the advice, I ended up going with the crushed neoprene Scubapro model. Super excited to try it out. Have pool session tonight and quarry dive Saturday! Going to Gilboa if anyone's interested.

Thanks all for the advice, I ended up going with the crushed neoprene Scubapro model. Super excited to try it out. Have pool session tonight and quarry dive Saturday! Going to Gilboa if anyone's interested.
Just to give you a heads up DUI will be at Gilboa this weekend giving demos so it maybe pretty crowded.

On the subject of pockets. I found some large Qxcheq billows pockets that will ether slide onto the belt or hang from the belt with an elastic thigh strap. Nice thing is they come off with the harness. I originally got them to dive with or without a suit to carry my backup mask, some line, spear tips and for a few items I pickup. Considering the cost of dry suit pockets and the problems of installation, I find them to be a viable alternative. Just make sure that if you are in a swimsuit, to get one with longer leg material to go between the strap and your leg to prevent chafing.

Great thread, esp. TS&M's post (as usual).

Has anyone had experience with HOG or Edge drysuits? I am currently thinking of a DUI FLX Extreme, but the HOG or Edge versions are less than 1/3 the price. Also I have a friend who recently bought a FLX Extreme and he is returning it because it leaks!

I am tall but not that "fluffy" so I am pretty sure I will get a custom one (which HOG supports).

- Bill

Great thread, esp. TS&M's post (as usual).

Has anyone had experience with HOG or Edge drysuits? I am currently thinking of a DUI FLX Extreme, but the HOG or Edge versions are less than 1/3 the price. Also I have a friend who recently bought a FLX Extreme and he is returning it because it leaks!

I am tall but not that "fluffy" so I am pretty sure I will get a custom one (which HOG supports).

- Bill

I believe it is the same suit that is made and marketed by USIA. If you are going for a USIA then I would recommend their Aquasport model which is being sold at Dive Right in Scuba for 699.00 It is bi-lam (a super thin suit) and needs very little lead to sink. Very light to dive in and feels like it is not even there.

Laminate suits are laminate suits, when it comes to weighting . . . Bilam or trilam makes no difference. It's what you put underneath that takes the lead to sink! Bilam is less durable, and sensitive to damage from the inside, but it is also a bit more flexible and much cheaper.

I believe it is the same suit that is made and marketed by USIA. If you are going for a USIA then I would recommend their Aquasport model which is being sold at Dive Right in Scuba for 699.00 It is bi-lam (a super thin suit) and needs very little lead to sink. Very light to dive in and feels like it is not even there.

This is the only drysuit I see listed on the DRIS website. It is the "905", and it sounds like it is trilaminate ?

the 905 uses seams that are ultrasonically welded, not sewn. This patented seaming systemguarantees a gas and watertight suit. Made from Parmasoft™ trilaminate, a three-layer material consisting of a six-ply butyl rubber core between two-ply layers of durable polyester,

It is also back-zip, and apparently not offered in custom sizes, so not good for me.

This is the only drysuit I see listed on the DRIS website. It is the "905", and it sounds like it is trilaminate ?

the 905 uses seams that are ultrasonically welded, not sewn. This patented seaming systemguarantees a gas and watertight suit. Made from Parmasoft™ trilaminate, a three-layer material consisting of a six-ply butyl rubber core between two-ply layers of durable polyester,

It is also back-zip, and apparently not offered in custom sizes, so not good for me.

Maybe they were updating the site when you looked. I think this is the suit he was referring to. USIA Aqua Sport Drysuit - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom