Can someone explain the ins and outs of drysuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressed or crushed neoprene suits are very tough and difficult to damage (but may be difficult to repair if you manage it). They have some insulating capacity, but not as much as expanded neoprene. Like neoprene suits, they are heavier than laminate suits, and dry more slowly. Whether there is any meaningful stretch depends on the thickness of the neoprene and how thoroughly crushed it is. These suits can generally be had with either neoprene or latex seals. They tend to be relatively expensive but very durable.

I agree with most of this post summarizing DS, with the exception of this. Crushed NEO is still neo and one of its advantages is how simple they are to repair, if you ever need. Also - most of them have some degree of stretch. To much stretch would be bad aso, and the Crushed NEO that I have dove (Bare and DUI) both have what seems to be the right amount.

Hmm I think I like the features of the Fusion. I will see about the Hollis suit and try to try on the Fusion. I am just concerned about the pockets. Could I get something like the DiveRite wetsuit pockets and stitch them on?

My husband's Bare compressed neo suit has very little stretch at all. With a little more Peter and a lot more undergarment than when he bought it, it is no longer a comfortable suit.

To the OP: To put pockets on a Fusion Sport, you have to do something to connect the pockets to the underlying bag. The Lycra simply will not support them. I have a friend who did this -- he stitched the pockets to the skin, put Velcro on the inside of the skin, and glued Velcro to the bag so that the Velcro supports the pockets. I don't know how durable this solution is in the long term, or how well it works if you have to access the pockets frequently in cold water, where you are clumsy. I should ask him how they are doing.

Personally, I use the neoprene pocket short solution. It's not a big deal.

Price notwithstanding, my choice was influenced by sizing -- mainly that to get into a DUI or similar suit, I'd have been having one custom made. Given that this was my first drysuit, the chance of being stuck with a suit with very limited resale market was a factor. I went with the Fusion since I could get one off the rack that fit, and if I want to sell it down the road, in theory it'll be easier.

If you go dry, don't forget to get some extra led -- you'll probably need it!

I have a friend who did this -- he stitched the pockets to the skin, put Velcro on the inside of the skin, and glued Velcro to the bag so that the Velcro supports the pockets. I don't know how durable this solution is in the long term, or how well it works if you have to access the pockets frequently in cold water, where you are clumsy. I should ask him how they are doing.

I've seen that mod posted before, but would be interested to hear how it's working out. I have a love-hate relationship with my now 5 year old fusion, and the tec skin's pockets are my biggest gripe....

Sent from my Zeagle N2ition

Crushed neoprene is neoprene with crushed air-cells and flattened to the point where it is no longer neoprene. Since it has lost its stretch, it acts more like a very tough bilam or trilam suit. Non-compressed neoprene is the one with thermal properties and has the ability to stretch. This is neoprene acting like neoprene. Amongst these one of the best suits I have rented were Seasoft and also scubapro Everdry. I would prefer them over Whites Fusion (which I truly hate).

My advice would be to get a drysuit certification and then rent different suits to find out whether you like neoprene or shell / laminate suits. I own both and enjoy both depending on how cold the water will be.

I dive the scubapro trilaminate evertec and have 75 + dives on it , no complaints what so ever what a great suit. Seems to be very durable and comfortable , self donning , si-tech valves , thigh pockets , and telescopic torso make it easy to don and doff I would buy another one.

I am still learning about dry suits and I am considering getting one in the future but wanted to add that if you search Padi Drysuit course on youtube some one posted a 47 minute video and I thought it was very informative and explained things very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom