Can Rec divers enjoy Truk ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sigh. Our plane just landed yesterday bringing us home from a week of sheer heaven on the Odyssey. I spent two years trying to plan the trip and figure out if the diving depths would be manageable. They are. (And thanks, Wil, for all the help and advice!! I know you're not reading this because YOU ARE STILL THERE!!)

We dove with single tanks, steel 108s, 30%. The majority of our dives were 90~100', and about 50 minutes long. I had no deco dives. We had two dives in the 60' range and a couple in the 120' range. My deepest dive briefly went to 130'.

I did not do the San Francisco Maru, nor was there any pressure to either do it or not do it. 5 tech divers from our boat did the SF Maru with doubles. A 6th diver (my son) also dove the SF with a single steel 108. He had 14 minutes at the wreck and went to a max depth of 172', although I think most of his bottom-time was in the 160' range. All the rest of us had a terrific dive on the Betty Bomber.

To answer the OP, you can have an amazing time as a recreational diver. You should get your nitrox cert before you go.

And now -- I'm scheming to try and get back there as soon as possible....

Bring a second computer just incase but you do need a computer.

What exactly do you mean by bring a second computer? Are you recommending carry a spare, or bring a second so if you bend the first you can then dive the second computer? :confused:

What exactly do you mean by bring a second computer? Are you recommending carry a spare, or bring a second so if you bend the first you can then dive the second computer? :confused:
I think he means the second. We were advised to do the same when travelling to Truk. Especially if you dive a Suunto, as they lock up for 48 hours rather than the customary 24. Just to be clear, you carry both computers. But if you "bend" one (for example, by getting an ascent speed violation after going into deco) then, provided you are not actually bent, you can keep diving on the non-violated computer.

I'm thinking of diving Truk but the more posts I read makes me think Truk will be a disappointment. I would like to stay on a liveaboard but I don't want to limit myself or other divers by my Recreational status. I'm Advanced cert. and I was planing on taking a Nitrox class but it sounds like that wont help. Some of the posts are saying 160-180' dives on 100 cuft tanks are possible for "Touch Dives" but would'nt that be the end of the day? How do the Liveaboards work, do the guides help with dive plans, can I trust my computer to keep track of NDC limits or Deco stops? I was hoping to use the Odyssey and I realize the wait is long but if I find an opening I want to be ready to go. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.....

Chuck,
We are booked on the REC Trip referred in the attached email plus other dates open on the Odyssea in 2012.

Thank you for your interest in the Odyssey in Truk Lagoon. Both weeks
that you listed are booked by a dive operation in the Philippines. The first week (3/25-4/1 2012)
is organized for recreational level divers. The second week is booked as a
deep/technical week. Here is the web address: Evolution Diving

We also have space available for the following week. It is not a group
trip.
Following is a current list of our available dates for 2012.

2012 Available Dates Available Spaces

Jan. 1 - 8, 2012 8
spaces
Jan. 29 - Feb. 5, 2012 14 spaces
(No
Groups)
Mar. 11 - 18, 2012 3 spaces
(No
Groups)
Apr. 8 - 15, 2012 7 spaces
(No
Groups)
May 13 - 20, 2012 12 spaces
(No
Groups)
Dec. 9 - 16, 2012 8 spaces
Dec. 16 - 23, 2012 16 spaces

In case it floods or the battery dies on your last day of diving or somebody drops a tank on it. But dive with both computer at the same time.

I'm now potentially going to Truk and am a newish diver. I will be in Kosrae May 3-14 so will be feeling pretty comfortable in the water and was due to go to Pohnpei but the Village is quoting me a large price for single diver diving. I may end up doing Truk last minute. I just recently finished my Advanced OW and Nitrox certs. I will not go deeper than 100' and will be diving my computer - Aladdin Prime. This will be land based - either Truk Stop or Blue Lagoon. Good choice?

I'm now potentially going to Truk and am a newish diver. I will be in Kosrae May 3-14 so will be feeling pretty comfortable in the water and was due to go to Pohnpei but the Village is quoting me a large price for single diver diving. I may end up doing Truk last minute. I just recently finished my Advanced OW and Nitrox certs. I will not go deeper than 100' and will be diving my computer - Aladdin Prime. This will be land based - either Truk Stop or Blue Lagoon. Good choice?

Just to let you know, Truk Lagoon Dive Center at Truk Stop Hotel is fully booked for divers between May 7- May 21 with a large group booking.

70% of the wrecks here in Truk can be dived without going deeper than 100ft. Using NX 30 is a great way to maximize your time on the wrecks.

Have a great time in Micronesia, Please stop by Truk Stop for a beer with us (Rob & Cindy) if you have time.

OMG ... yes you can do Truk as a rec diver...and I recommend it. Nitrox is handy if you are planning on doing a few dives in a day... I reckon it helps make you a little less tired! I dived off Thorfinn so we were diving 4 or 5 times a day. For me it was heaven since I normally dive in cold, relatively rough conditions - Truk was like a nice warm bathtub. Once you go, you'll want to go back for sure. You just have to know what your limits are and stick to them.

Every diver should experience Truk... as should every War Historian.

Having been to Truk and dove 12 wrecks there, I can say with certainty there is something there for every level of diver.

You can stay fairly shallow on many wrecks 55 - 90 feet and see plenty, you can venture deeper if you're inclined - with many wrecks exceeding the recreational limits and if you want to do "tec" diving - whatever that's suppose to mean... you can do it. In most cases it means exceeding the arbitrary recreational limit of 130ft and/or penetrating the wrecks.

I was last there in 2005 and many things can change in 6 years... but the operator we went with basically allowed us to do almost anything... and I may say even encouraged those of us comfortable with the idea. Most of our experienced group routinely exceeded recreational limits and penetrated deeper into wrecks than they should have with nothing more than single AL80's. No pony's, no wreck reels etc... Most of these dives were guided by a DM and in some cases two DM's (one lead and one follow,) but even so, probably not the smartest idea in the world to have divers two decks down on a single 80 with no easy exit.

Never-the-less, we all made it out safely - and to my knowledge, they had been leading these dives for some time without incident.

I did every dive that week on air, but many chose Nitrox for the added safety value. Many of us were doing DECO dives... especially those of us diving air. The only thing different about this is understanding your consumption rate and ensuring you have enough air to complete any required safety (DECO) stops. Anyone with a modern computer and knowledge of how to work it and who has been able to reasonably estimate the SAC rate can safely do DECO dives.

I stayed with air because the Nitrox mixes were pushing the limits of safe pertaining to oxygen toxicity. I was often between 130 - 150ft. If you're a Nitrox diver you understand this.

I tell everyone - Truk is a must do dive location. I'd never go back - because I believe you only have to see it once... but everyone must try to do it that one time. The visual imagery is astonishing... from the deck guns to the mini-tanks to the zero fighter planes, torpedos, automobiles of the period, skulls and bones, scattered shell casings etc... you can literally visualize the war as it was being fought.

So YES, GO... enjoy... but dive within your comfort zone and training... less you feel OK about putting your life in the hands of the DM's... something I don't ever recommend.

Cheers

I agree with this. When I went my dive buddies computer died on the thrid day. He had to sit out a day and then used a rented computer from the boat. When you are paying that much for the trip, a lost day really stinks.
If I were doing it again, I would buy or rent a second computer of the same brand and model as my current computer.

In case it floods or the battery dies on your last day of diving or somebody drops a tank on it. But dive with both computer at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom