Can people really get scuba certified without knowing how to swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our instructor just said, "don't hold onto the wall or stand up when you turn". I think it's kind of silly to fuss about exactly how you do the turns. It's really difficult to not touch either the bottom or the side for a moment. Momentum and all. A quick touch doesn't mean you're tired or struggling.

I can see the logic of requiring faster swimming for DM as a more advanced skill, and a rescue skill, but I don't think swimming speed needs to be a requirement for OW/AOW. I used to swim for hours on end without touching the bottom, I can swim in jeans and shoes, I can dump a canoe in deep water, and I've taken lifesaving swimming classes. But I'm slow, and I hate snorkels. I'm still a good swimmer, and long surface swims don't tire me out. Speed or specific strokes don't affect your ability to stay on the surface and conserve energy.

Our instructor just said, "don't hold onto the wall or stand up when you turn". I think it's kind of silly to fuss about exactly how you do the turns. It's really difficult to not touch either the bottom or the side for a moment. Momentum and all. A quick touch doesn't mean you're tired or struggling.

I can see the logic of requiring faster swimming for DM as a more advanced skill, and a rescue skill, but I don't think swimming speed needs to be a requirement for OW/AOW. I used to swim for hours on end without touching the bottom, I can swim in jeans and shoes, I can dump a canoe in deep water, and I've taken lifesaving swimming classes. But I'm slow, and I hate snorkels. I'm still a good swimmer, and long surface swims don't tire me out. Speed or specific strokes don't affect your ability to stay on the surface and conserve energy.

Agree with all you say. Re the DM swim test: There are those who say it has nothing to do with Rescue ability. I disagree, and agree with you that it SHOULD be related to Rescue. Different course level, same situation--varying views on purpose. But at least with the DM one the standards seem to be enforced more equally--you get certain points for finishing with certain times regardless of stroke. Maybe it's because one assumes a DM candidate must actually know how to swim....

I think I agree with the 200 yd. swim although doing the snorkel/mask/fins swim in addition seems worthwhile as well. I don't see that being a particularly great swimmer is necessary (as long as one can swim). It's nice but I doubt that most divers would pass a standard of being a great ocean swimmer (depending on how that standard was worded of course).

Swimming in the ocean and swimming in a swimming pool are only vaguely related. Swimming in cold water when fully clothed in something other than a buoyant thermal protection suit has little to do with a swim test in a pool IMO.

I think just being reasonably comfortable in the water and able to survive for a reasonable period of time is all that should be required for diving. For those who want to do more than the minimum then improving ones swimming skills might be a good idea or perhaps there are other skills that are more important for a diver.

If you are interested in being a great swimmer that's a different subject than being a great diver. It's arguable more important (or at least useful) in warmer waters than in colder waters I would think.

As far as not diving with someone that isn't a great swimmer...it's not that crucial in most circumstances. I think it's more about self-rescue or surviving until someone can come to your aid. I have no idea what the swimming abilities are of most of my dive buddies. I think they can all swim but it's not high on the list of what I'm wondering about when I meet a new dive buddy.

gcbryan, Yes IMO you hit the nail on the head.

Yeah, more good examples. I can speak only with PADI experience, but too many variations per instructor that I've seen there. Count half a lap for pushing off wall--that's yet another new one. You obviously have to touch the wall to turn. I believe competitive swimmers push off somewhat when they do their fancy underwater flip at the end of each lap, no? Experts please advise. Either way, how much of a push? How much of a pause during a turn? I saw a guy put his feet on the bottom doing that at the shallow end turn. He passed.

Competive swimmers do push off, but this was a small pool and if you pushed off you were half-way across the pool, one instructor would let you do it, unfortunatly the one I had wouldn't (LOL) Like you I hadn't really been swimming in decades so when I touched the wall my first instinct was to push off. It was easier to do the snorkling. Even though it seems most are against here.

Competive swimmers do push off, but this was a small pool and if you pushed off you were half-way across the pool, one instructor would let you do it, unfortunatly the one I had wouldn't (LOL) Like you I hadn't really been swimming in decades so when I touched the wall my first instinct was to push off. It was easier to do the snorkling. Even though it seems most are against here.

Our pool is tiny also. We used to use a big pool. But rule are rules, no? What ARE the rules on that? I gathered that most here preferred the "snorkelling", no?

Our pool is tiny also. We used to use a big pool. But rule are rules, no? What ARE the rules on that? I gathered that most here preferred the "snorkelling", no?

Maybe I was looking at the responses wrong. I asked the question why was swimming so important, and one of the responses I got was "What if you fall of the boat and no one sees you" If you fall of the boat and no one notices, you've got bigger problems than swimming (LOL)

Maybe I was looking at the responses wrong. I asked the question why was swimming so important, and one of the responses I got was "What if you fall of the boat and no one sees you" If you fall of the boat and no one notices, you've got bigger problems than swimming (LOL)

Yeah, right. I've heard that one before also. It's amazing how many people find themselves fallen from boats or having their boats sink and all their scuba gear (including fins, which could make swimming meaningful) vanishes before they can get it.....Then there's "What if you have to swim 200 yards out from shore to rescue someone"? You put your fins on. If you are not diving and have no fins it's the victim's own fault for swimming without lifeguards or solo diving beyond his capabilities. I'm calling 911--not swimming out 200 yards without fins--what do I do with a panicked (or unconscious by then) victim when I reach him?--Tow him 200 yards back to shore without fins...?

I had to pass a swim test for both OW and AOW when I did my certification classes. Fortunately I am an ok swimmer. Now for dive master certification the swim test is MUCH more rigorous from what I hear. I am glad that I was tested because in Monterey and Carmel, there are many good dive sites that require a long surface swim and I doubt that I would be able to dive these places if I was a poor swimmer. Swim skills come in useful with beach diving from shore.

I had to pass a swim test for both OW and AOW when I did my certification classes. Fortunately I am an ok swimmer. Now for dive master certification the swim test is MUCH more rigorous from what I hear. I am glad that I was tested because in Monterey and Carmel, there are many good dive sites that require a long surface swim and I doubt that I would be able to dive these places if I was a poor swimmer. Swim skills come in useful with beach diving from shore.

I know I beat a dead horse, but I assume you are in full scuba gear, including fins for those surface swims. What does that have to do with the skill of swimming (other than strong legs and decent finning)?

Back
Top Bottom