Can non-member call DAN's hotline or medical phone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Angelo Farina, do you have any sense of how commonplace diving insurance is in your area vs say, the US? I agree that with our much crappier system, there is a lot more motivation for DAN (or similar) insurance.
DAN is very common here. All divers I know have a DAN membership. Also my wife and my sons are members, despite the small number of dives per year. We pay the annual fee for helping others, and supporting research and education, not for the insurance!
We are happy to contribute to socially-responsible societies who work for the good of the community, and DAN is definitely one of them. We are also members of several other charities, who do not provide any insurance, but make useful activity in different fields (education, environmental protection, research, humanitarian help to migrants, etc.).
These things are very widespread in Europe, and many people devote their money and free time for supporting these beneficial organisations. For example, my wife is a volunteer on one of them, dealing with Dyslexia. I am a volunteer in the civil protection, both as a scuba diver and as a trial motorbiker...
I had also been for many years a volunteer firefighter, after having done my military service as a full firefighter for one year, when I was 25.
Regarding pure insurance, I do not know everyone having a specific insurance for Scuba diving, they are simply members of DAN, which includes some coverage, but is not the main reason for being member.
Instead many people, me included (and my wife and my sons) have a general insurance against accidents. This is mostly for road accidents, or accidents happening at work.
The goal, again, is not for medical expenses (which are not-existent in case of accidents), but for loss of work days and permanent loss of physical abilities.
For example two years ago, while I was in South Korea I had a stupid accident descending a ladder, and suffering from tendinitis due to a ruptured ligament: Medical treatments, visits, MR, Ecography and therapy were all covered for free by the national health system. But my insurance paid me some money for the 30 days of lost working capability, and for some residual percentage of permanent disability remaining after healing. In total I got something as 5000 euros, which is worth ten times the annual fee.

Back
Top Bottom