Can i use a AL80 tank to run air tools?? if so, how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next question is will he take it to his LDS to have it filled? Unless he never intends to use it under the water again.

jafo123

bob1dp:
I used to do a lot of boat repairs in the water. I’d install through hulls, trim tabs, and swim steps. I ran pneumatic tools off of scuba tanks with a long line and they worked great! I used drills primarily and they lasted a long time. I want to say 20 minutes of full drilling. I always had tanks available and could fill them free at my shop so it was a good solution. It was much easier then carting a compressor down to the docks. Just be sure to flush your tools with fresh water and, once away from the sea a little WD40.

so you drill a hole in a boat (in the water) for a thru hull fitting with the drill. Now everyone knows this allows water into the boat.......

What do you do? just slap the thru-hull fitting in the hole as quick as you can after you drill the hole and have someone on the other side with the nut/retainer to tighten it up?

ever drop the fitting in the water by accident while trying to do this? (hope you got a spare!)

"so you drill a hole in a boat (in the water) for a thru hull fitting with the drill. Now everyone knows this allows water into the boat......."

. . . but only if it's beneath the water line !!! :wink:

Nemrod:
I think it has been touched on but to make sure someone does not get hurt, do not use a scuba regulator to step air down from a 3,000 psi tank to a tool intended for approx 90 psi average. The scuba regulator is intended for low volume intermitent flow. Tools reqquire a high volume of air continuously. Air has mass and it's movement can cause metal erosion. The regulator 1st stage will rapidly fail then supplying potentialy 3,000 psi air to a tool/hose/system intended for a tiney fraction of that. The results could be lethal.
Shop compressers run at pressures of 150 to 300 psi. If the shop air regulator fails the tools will not see a destructive pressure.
I once saw a Padi Instructor attempt to plug a high pressure port with a LP hose---back when they had the same thread! The hose exploded with tremedous force--kkaaaaabooooooooom-- sending rubber bits flying with enough force to put out an eye or even worse, raising whelps on me and a few others 20 feet away. Imagine 3,000 psi applied to a tool!!!! Y'all do what you want but I just want you to know the downside is a serious and expensive injury. I will say no more on this--good luck--best wishes. N

That is why on applications where no downstream 2nd stage is fitted to vent a creeping first stage pressue (such as argon bottle) we use an over pressurization valve (OPV) these inexpensive items are readily available at most scuba shops.

wedivebc:
That is why on applications where no downstream 2nd stage is fitted to vent a creeping first stage pressue (such as argon bottle) we use an over pressurization valve (OPV) these inexpensive items are readily available at most scuba shops.
Doing so would not have prevented the incident described.

Believe it or not most of the holes were drilled below the water line and most the drilling took place from inside the boat. The man inside locates the position of the hole and starts drilling. The diver on the outside camps out where he thinks the hole will appear. The diver has the thru hole fitting in his hand as it must be pushed through from the outside. The hole saw has a pilot drill so you first see a small hole. Then the large hole appears. The man inside pulls the drill out and covers the hole with his hand. Because of the pressure lots of water is coming in past the inside man’s hand. The diver under the boat quickly pushes the fitting into the hole as the drill bit retreats. The suction keeps the leak pretty water tight. The man inside then screws on a large nut which cinches the fitting to the hull. If you are skilled and experienced at the operation very little water gets into the boat. If you drop the fitting you are in big trouble. Nothing like doing a search and recovery under the boat you are sinking, Ouch.

jonnythan:
Doing so would not have prevented the incident described.
No but having a different thread for HP and LP would. Nemrod was using it as a (poor) example of what would happen if the HP seat failed from high volume use. I was pointing out that installing a OPV would prevent that hazard.

Back
Top Bottom