Can i use a AL80 tank to run air tools?? if so, how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can i use a 3,000psi AL80 tank to run air tools?? if so, how?

how much air does a impact wrench use? i like to work on my truck quite often and many times bolts, etc.. needed an impact wrench to help out taking it out... so i was thinking if its possible to use my AL80 to "assist" me in my wrenching...

Sure you can, but you need an itermediate pressure gauge to step the pressure down to the pressure rating of the tool depending upon what type of tool you're using.

Most air drive hand tools operate on approximately 60 psi.

Wouldn't it be a lot more cost effective to just buy one of those $100 compressors, or one of the $40 11 gallon tanks at Home Depot?

What he said . . . :classic:

jonnythan:
Wouldn't it be a lot more cost effective to just buy one of those $100 compressors, or one of the $40 11 gallon tanks at Home Depot?

i wish i have room for an air compressor!! I live in an apartment right now. when I get my own house/garage - you betcha i'd have a garage fully outfitted with tools and a huge air compressor pushing more than 10cfm's.

I use old regulators to run hand tools all the time. The average first stage will operate at 120-145psi and if the tools are compatible, go with it as the flow rate will be higher. Flow rate can be a problem with some tools, so avoid dropping the operating pressure unless you have to.

If the tools require a lower pressure, you will need to lower the pressure. This is easy to do with first stage with a adjustable spring pad like the Conshelf XII, XIV, etc. With most piston designs adjustment is also possible but not quite as easy as you just need to replace the mainspring with a lighter one that you can usually find at the local hardware store.

Once you solve the regulator problem you need a low pressure inflator. You will need a quick disconnect fitting designed to attach to 1/4 NPT accessories - like a conventional compressor air hose - and this should be stocked by most dive shops and if not in stock, they can order one through Trident.

If you are running a low pressure tool like a paint gun that also requires a fair amount of volume, you may need to add a header tank where the scuba tank/regulator feeds the header tank and the tool in turn draws the air from the tank. This lets the reg feed the tank constantly at the lower pressure required and allows the volume to recover between strokes. A small wal-mart type tank will be adequate

I have a setup similar to what DA described.

Since all the other first stage ports would have been capped, I added an overpressure relief valve, just in case.
( I could have used an old second stage instead, but it’s less bulky this way.)

Here’s another adapter source.

Edit: Oh yeah, I needed another adapter for the overpressure relief valve.

Note that these specific adapters might be different from what you need.

Lots of neat stuff at Peter Built.

Yukoneer - quit your obsession on air compressor! :) just kidding, I never thought a scuba tank will be useful for other things!

No, you cannot. You would need to step the pressure down to approx 90 psi. Most air tools consume approx 5 to 15 cfm at 90 psi. An 80 cf tank would not last very long. At 10 cfm then about 8 minutes--max. Not very practical. Buy an air compressor intended for running tools, avoid the oiless types, they are noisy, inefficient and don't last long when used hard. N

Point well taken, Nemrod. But the question put forth was, "Can i use a 3,000psi AL80 tank to run air tools??"

Back
Top Bottom