can I touch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
I've touched all of those and will again.

LOL all gently, I am sure...but he made his point. :wink:

Just keep still and breathe slowly. The fishes will come to you. Touching can be a sensitive issue as both you and the critter can get hurt. Groupers are nocturnal and disturbing them is like waking you up from deep sleep just for fun.

Remember - Fish live in aquariums to keep the air out.

Your appearance is truly "other worldly" to all critters. Any contact from an "other worldly being" may invoke stress. Try to be cool, if you can. The critters will certainly catch that vibe! Wink, hum, wave, mimic, tell a joke - but touching on a first date will likely be percieved as - insensitive and untrustworthy at a minimum.

Fare thee well!

Look and enjoy but no touch, they can be grumpy and they might call the underwater police ...

Corrupted_Diver:
Whats the generally accepted principles on touchin the lovely underwater creatures? I have this urge to hug every fishie I see....or touch corals...pet any fish that would let me get close to it....i know the difference between a pet and a strangle, so definitely not going to hurt anything...

but in general, first is it safe? Obviously I would not think of using a manta ray's tail like a leash or hugging a huge sea urchin...

Did some dives in the Keys, and the outfit did not allow us to wear gloves, thought this was strange, but they did not want us to touch anything.

After a couple of dives, they did allow me to take them off after they got assurance that I was not going to touch. Not like a store you break it you bought it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom