can I touch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's exceptionally pretty, exceptionally ugly, just plain odd, or you can't resist the urge, don't touch it. It's probably harmful to you.

Fish_Whisperer:
:lol: That was truly one of the more horrifying stories I've ever heard...

I thought that was an old episode of "King of the Hill"

Duh'wha?

Walter:
Sorry about the screwup on your location. That was my mistake. It was not "my bad." "My bad" is extremely asinine. I'm amazed anyone can use it without dying of embarrassment.

You must be easily amazed, amigo.:D

olmic:
The DM today was poking a big (well, I thought it was big, body maybe 75 cm in diameter) octopus untill it got so annoyed that it moved. Amazing to see it, of course, but I felt bad that she was doing it. And I was slightly concerned that it would get so annoyed that it would jump forwards and suck on to her - or me!

:rofl2: :rofl2: I think your first concern was you. Second thought was how would you get back without the DM. Either way, that gave me a good laugh :D

Walter:
Sorry about the screwup on your location. That was my mistake. It was not "my bad." "My bad" is extremely asinine. I'm amazed anyone can use it without dying of embarrassment.

Ahhh, times do change as does the use of slang. For instance, I haven't heard asinine since I was 'knee high to a grasshopper'. :):)

Damselfish:
"my bad" is very common slang.

And slang is a part of a living language.

When we converse, we need to adapt our diction to the situation. Using formal, structured grammar and usage is the right choice in many situations, especially when dealing with business relations, diplomacy, or academia. On the other hand, when speaking or writing in informal, friendly groups, the use of common slang is a good way to show friendliness. In such forums, strict adherence to formal grammar is not considered essential. In fact, it might be considered inappropriate.

It might even be argued that there is nothing wrong, grammatically, with "my bad." Walter chose to mention that "my" shows possession, which puzzles me because the chief grammatical problem with the expression is that "bad" is an adjective that is supposed to describe something, but it has nothing to describe.

Or does it?

If one were to write, "He is taller than I," that sentence could be considered grammatically incorrect. "I" has no formal purpose in the sentence as written, but the sentence is considered correct because part of the sentence is understood. The complete sentence is "He is taller than I am tall." One could argue that in the case of "my bad," the rest of the sentence--including whatever it is that is bad--is also understood.

But arguing that would be pointless. This is a friendly forum in which one's diction should not be a subject for discussion, should it?

Touch? Why? Just wondering....

boulderjohn:
And slang is a part of a living language.

When we converse, we need to adapt our diction to the situation. Using formal, structured grammar and usage is the right choice in many situations, especially when dealing with business relations, diplomacy, or academia. On the other hand, when speaking or writing in informal, friendly groups, the use of common slang is a good way to show friendliness. In such forums, strict adherence to formal grammar is not considered essential. In fact, it might be considered inappropriate.

It might even be argued that there is nothing wrong, grammatically, with "my bad." Walter chose to mention that "my" shows possession, which puzzles me because the chief grammatical problem with the expression is that "bad" is an adjective that is supposed to describe something, but it has nothing to describe.

Or does it?

If one were to write, "He is taller than I," that sentence could be considered grammatically incorrect. "I" has no formal purpose in the sentence as written, but the sentence is considered correct because part of the sentence is understood. The complete sentence is "He is taller than I am tall." One could argue that in the case of "my bad," the rest of the sentence--including whatever it is that is bad--is also understood.

But arguing that would be pointless. This is a friendly forum in which one's diction should not be a subject for discussion, should it?
Ohhh man, boulderjohn be gettin' his English on up in here!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom