Can I rent everything at first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for renting with a possible purchase of a wetsuit....it could also be used for snorkeling if not diving. A 3mm is a good place to start for COZ, however, keep in mind that the amount of thermal protection needed is a very personal choice. If this is something you would consider then the next step is to decide what type of wetsuit....neoprene->can be cheaper/may last longer, stretch or special weave->perhaps a more expensive but more comfortable....regardless of what you decide, when you are ready to commit to purchasing your own equipment, take it slowly. This advice especially applies to your BCD and Reg. Very often our LDS will allow you to try before you buy. Shop and compare and you will find the perfect fit. Have a wonderful time in Cozumel !! Sue

Oh, PS....don't forget the tiny "Sink the Stink" packets. A good wetsuit/bootie soak perhaps midway in your dive schedule is a great idea...makes you and everyone around you happy :D Although, if everyone is stinky, then who cares, right? At least that is what my two Eagle Scout son's would say after a long trek and believe me, they know stink...:amazed:

Wetsuits are pretty cheap and you never know who peed in the rental suit before you got it. That said, I guess I reluctantly agree with those that recommend you buy a wetsuit first. I don't know if you can catch things from wetsuits but I'm not about to be the test case.

Personally, I want my own regulator! Not just because somebody else had it in their mouth (although that is a consideration), I just want it to be perfect. Rental regulators will be serviceable middle-of-the-lineup regulators (if not bottom-end) and I don't do middle-of-the-road. That said, my personal regulators are very old Oceanic Omega IIs. The other divers in our small herd of 4 have much newer regs.

Then again, I worry about my flotation. My BP/W in known to function properly. I KNOW the inflator valve doesn't leak and that it is highly unlikely the elbow will pop off.

I would probably bring my weight harness and just rent the weights. I don't have hips so there is not much chance of wearing a weight belt.

So, I guess about the only thing I would rent is tanks and I have 14 of those for our small herd.

I guess I don't see a strategy for renting equipment.

Richard

I own my equipment, but if you rent , I would think about renting from your lds and check out your reg. and bcd. Diver on our last week dive in coz. rented from dive shop in Coz. and had leaking hoses and was only able to dive about 30 min. due to being low on air. Check your equipment out if possible.

I vote for renting - at first.

You'll ultimately want all of your own gear, as you can customize it just way you want. Too many times our family rented BC's, and we were lucking if 25% of them fit. Nothing is worse than gear that doesn't fit!

I second the vote on taking your own mask/snorkel/fins.

Talk to your dive shop about a rental/purchase. I made the mistake of buying used, that didn't fit, and seriously regretted it. It's a big purchase, but it'll last 10 years or more (the BC's do wear out).

Good luck, and have a great trip!!!

many good points so far. here's my $0.02 for your first big dive trip in 3 major groupings:

Manditory (take with you):

- Mask, Fins, and Snorkel - always the first set of personal gear recommended!
- Wrist Mounted Dive computer - tracks your personal dive profile and Nitrogen Loading. Essential for multi-day trips with multiple dive operators. Set your personal dive preferences, and know the features & dive planning capabilities!
- Wrist mounted dive compass.
- Safety Sausage & signaling device.
- Mask defog

Optional (Rent until you know what you want & can afford):

- Reg Set (First Stage, Second Stage and Octo).
- BC (often purchased at same time as reg set, and computer).
- Exposure Protection that fits - falls in the priority here closely.
- Lights (start with a small BC mounted, then add a primary). If planning to do night dives on your trip, move this item up to manditory!
- Knife/cutting device (EMT Shears)
- Emergency Kit - first aid kit, O-rings, straps, tools, etc. (Hopefully your operator will have all you need - but you never know.)

Really Optional! (not practical for Travel):

- Tanks - rent! until you are ready to afford steel!
- Weights
- Reel(s)
- Spare Mask
- Pony Bottle/Redundant Air Source - for deep dives

Hope this helps.

Dive Safe!

Rent until you find something that works for you. Dive operations typically have quality gear because they can't afford to continually change. It's all a matter of preference. If you're a vacation diver the expense of the hardware can be a waste of money not to mention the hassle of dragging it around and the waste of it sitting around from one year to the next.

For what it's worth, my buddy and I own wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins and booties and rent the rest right now and that has worked well for us. We're at about 75-100 dives after starting in Dec. 2007. We'll probably buy BCD, regs, computers at some point but it doesn't seem urgent and we haven't had any problems using rental gear at good dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom