Can I Do It? Can You Teach An Old Dog New Tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elevator55

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All my life I watched tv shows about scuba.I watch the discovery channel when it shows underwater shows.I invy all of you that has the privilage to dive and see all the things and animals underwater.I am 59 and have been studing books on scuba to keep up with the young ones when I go to diving school later.I took early retirement at 55.I'm not in good shape as i want to be.I can swim ,but i'm afraid i might not swim 200 yards to begin with.Do you have on a bc when you do it? Should i waight till I am fit?I'm not obeese but a little overweight. thanks for listining to an old man! Maybee I might See some of you
later. Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

:(

elevator55:
All my life I watched tv shows about scuba.I watch the discovery channel when it shows underwater shows.I invy all of you that has the privilage to dive and see all the things and animals underwater.I am 59 and have been studing books on scuba to keep up with the young ones when I go to diving school later.I took early retirement at 55.I'm not in good shape as i want to be.I can swim ,but i'm afraid i might not swim 200 yards to begin with.Do you have on a bc when you do it? Should i waight till I am fit?I'm not obeese but a little overweight. thanks for listining to an old man! Maybee I might See some of you

Elevator55,
I know multiple divers diving at your age and even later -- Joe Liburdi still dives at 75! Joe has been diving since the 50s, but there was a recent thread on here about a lady that recently passed at age 95 and who had decided to take up diving at 84. I know several others that took up diving in the mid-50s so age alone is not a determinant.

I would certainly urge you to consult your physician to make sure you are ready for diving. If you can't do the 200 yd swim, then I would suggest working up to it (assuming the doc says ok). You will be in a pool with just your swimsuit. Optionally, you can add a mask and snorkel and wet suit, but you have to add weight so that you are neutral AND the distance doubles (from memory).

As an older diver, there are certain limitations that you would want to observe -- mostly due to the fact that as we age, we become more susceptible to decompression illness. You may also want to limit your diving to warm water -- less weight and less restrictive exposure suit to deal with.

Bottomline is talk to your physician and if he/she says go for it, do it!

I was on a live aboard earlier this year & there was a gentleman & his son on board. The father had just recently learned to dive & turned 80 years young while we were out. While on the trip we made 26 dives & he dove everyone of them. It was very inspiring. As Otter said, you might want to pay a visit to your Dr. for a check up first, then start working yourself up slowly. If you are reasonably healthy, there should be no reason why you can't learn to dive. Recreational diving is for just that recreation & relaxation. Good luck to you.

:happywave and welcome

Should i waight till I am fit

and make diving and getting fit go hand in hand..... dont wait - life goes past while youre waiting!

certainly go see the doc and get good advice and follow thru and make this happen for yourself

and dont let your age be a factor - hubby has had students in their 60's (oldest 71 i think)

cheers - looking forward to hearing about your journey!

elevator55:

Go for it!

Life is calling.

:coffee:

make sure your doc says it is ok. that is the most important thing. after that you dont have to complete the swim on the first night. you just have to be able to complete it by the end of the class. this might include a treading water excercise also. we dont let student wear wetsuits while doing this because it makes you a little more boyuant while treading water. just make sure you stay calm and relaxed. its is not a race and you can take your time. good luck and hope to hear from you later saying you have become an OW diver. welcome to the board. have fun and dive safe

Elevator,

Go for it! I took my open water training at age 48 with a matching set of bad knees. If I can do it then I am sure you can too!

Hey if I could do it you can for sure! I also waited until a bit late in life to start diving, think I was about 55 at the time. Honestly as I was overweight I was terrified of taking the class even though I had thought about doing it for years. I was not in the best shape (still am not ;-). However, I found photos of my deceased father diving at the age of 80 and figured if he could do it I could and what the heck was I waiting for anyway?
So I signed up. I had trouble with the swim but I made it. You are not timed so just go slow and take your time. You can do a side stroke which is much less tiring, then paddle on your back for a bit, switch again as needed. You will make it.
I found diving to be a huge part of my life and I am so glad I stopped worrying about taking the class and just did it.
So find a good instructor and go for it!

Thanks to all of you For Your Support.You don't know how much it means to me to think people cares like you divers.You are a fine group of people.Without your encourgement I would probly backed out because I am pretty bashfull.
Maybe I Will Dive With some of you some day.
It meanes a lot to new people on the board about your comments!

Back
Top Bottom