Can hardly wait!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danninella

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I took my OW in Sweden in october and my AOW in Thailand in november. I got so hooked on diving and I just can not wait to get in the water. The only thing in my head is diving, diving, diving. Still I haven´t been in the water since november.

I have finally bought my own gear (although I still have to wait a couple of weeks for the dry suit) and I can hardly wait to get into the water.

My plan is to start by joining excursions with my LDS, but eventually go out with my boyfriend/dive buddy. How did you do when you started? How long before you went on dives on your own? Which environments did you start in?

I live in Sweden, in the inland, so in the nearby area there are mostly lakes.

Congratulations, especially because you plan to dive locally in Sweden & not limit yourself to only tropical waters. There's no short answer to your question. On paper, your training means you're ready to dive independently now.

It's a judgement call as to when you're actually ready, factoring your experience, comfort in the water, skills, temperment & dive conditions. You might be ready now for warm clear water, but not for a cold, low viz lake.

Since you plan on diving locally with the LDS, you'll have more experience before you decide to go jump in the lake. You'll know when you're ready & if in doubt, you can ask the folks who dove with you for their opinions.

One way to be ready faster is to dive with the LDS, but manage the dive yourself as if you were independent: assess the conditions, plan the dive, monitor the dive, and assess yourself afterwards. This will build your confidence & experience and when you're ready you'll cut the umbilical cord yourself.

Welcome to SB Danninella! It is great to hear of your excitement and desire to dive as much as you can! You already have gotten some great advice and have made some really good decisions to dive with your LDS. There are no greater ways to learn a new environment than with local experienced divers, Dive masters, etc. My whole diving adventure began with a trip to Mexico. In the process of getting certified I feel in love with diving. Mexico was awesome but my local lakes and quarries have become just as incredible! I dove new years day it was really unbelievable, visibility was at least 80 feet! For me diving has taken a whole new meaning, I am so consumed I am currently a Dive master candidate and hope to become an instructor. I could not get enough of diving so I figured the best way to stay in the water was to continue my education as a diver. Just a thought! The greatest thing I will ever accomplish as a diver would be to pass my love of diving on to others. It sounds as though you have the disease of "divers brain" to! Don't expect everyone to understand it but the only cure I know of is to dive as much and as often as you can! One year ago I was 25 pounds heavier, a hunter/fishing a-holic, and not the healthiest guy around. Diving pretty much transformed my life! I want to encourage you to be excited and go for it. Commit to it and have the time of your life, a whole new world awaits. It is just a splash away! Good luck, CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:)

Danninella....

Very glad you posted because I am wondering if there are places to dive in Sweden/dive operations?
I did a search but could not find much, so your help would be appreciated....

First time me & my wife dived alone was on Grand Cayman- about 70 dives, but by then we felt quite confident. Since then we dived Sharm and the Maldives unaccompanied.

My husband and I dove for the first time alone in Bonaire. We probably had around 75 dives. I think it is more about your comfort level and the dive site that you choose than the number of dives that you have. HAVE FUN!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom