Can anyone ID this tank by this one photo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad, that means that they were made of 6351-T6 Alum. The only reasonable treatment is to sell as scrap alum to a junkyard. The current alum price in the metalsmarket is almost 1800 USD per metric ton, most junkyards will be unwilling to give you more than 0.60 per Lb.

Michael

Yes. Gladly, I don't own it. My dive buddy was considering it, but didn't make a purchase.

Interestingly enough, it was successfully hydroed in June 2017.

Yes. Gladly, I don't own it. My dive buddy was considering it, but didn't make a purchase.

Nothing surprising about that. Cylinders made with 6351-T6 Alloy are still legal to fill and use as long as they pass the required Hydro, visual inspection, and eddy current every 5 years. There are still thousands of cylinders made of this alloy in use in the commercial gas industry. The number of cylinders made of this alloy for diving was a very small percentage of the total made and in use.

As noted, it does appear to be made by Walter Kidde which would mean it was made from Al6351. However, looking at the latest hydro stamp. It does not appear to have been properly re-qualified. As there does not appear to a VE after the year. It is quite hard to tell from the picture so I may be wrong. But the take is that any cylinder made from Al6351 which has been re-qualified should also have a VE stamped next to the year to note that a Visual Eddy was performed.

As noted, it does appear to be made by Walter Kidde which would mean it was made from Al6351. However, looking at the latest hydro stamp. It does not appear to have been properly re-qualified. As there does not appear to a VE after the year. It is quite hard to tell from the picture so I may be wrong. But the take is that any cylinder made from Al6351 which has been re-qualified should also have a VE stamped next to the year to note that a Visual Eddy was performed.

Interesting observation. I looked at other pictures they posted, and it's there.

BTW, my buddy, who is on the market for a tank, asked a couple of shop owners in the area, and it appears there is a blanket policy all local shops agreed to to not fill any alum tanks older than 1990, regardless of manufacturer or type of alum it's made of. It makes shopping for a tank easier in a way.

Attachments

• 64381199_10105929410445821_7565472286451433472_n.jpg
    64381199_10105929410445821_7565472286451433472_n.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 75

Wise move
Around here the cost for a hydro and VE far exceed the value of a cylinder that old. And numerous shops refuse to fill them. And of course its a crap shoot if it will even pass VIP. Although based on the paint I'd guess that one has rarely been dove and has mostly sat in a garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom