Can anyone give me some Key West trip ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alan in ATL

Registered
Reaction score
My son and I are vacation type divers. We've been diving for many years, though. We do believe that in our trips to Key West we have (possibly) seen what is worth seeing there. That's not a shot at Key West, we just want a change if we can.

It's an annual family trip to Key West, so that has to be the base of operations. That said, we just wondered if any of you much more experienced folks could point us in the direction of a good "day trip" up north into the lower/middle Keys?

Specifically, we are looking for a simple but interesting dive that we could take in, but that would only be a day trip from Key West. We are stopping to dive in Key Largo on the way down, so we don't need to back track that far north.

We are run-of-the-mill open water divers, but we aren't a hindrance or attention *****s on a dive boat. Looking for something consistent with our skill and experience levels.

Is there such a critter? Any shop in particular you'd suggest for a basic 2 tank daylight dive?

We're headed down 3/18.

I'd appreciate any helpful hints.

The Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary is a heckuvalot nicer coral reef than where the KW boats will take you. Up around milemarker 25-ish. Plan for at least an hour's drive from around Duval Street, in case traffic sucks.

I will say that I've had varied experiences with some of the dive ops around there. One that I haven't tried (yet) but that comes highly recommended is http://www.wreckreationcharters.com, run by Scubaboard's very own biscuit7. Also does trips to the Adolphus Busch wreck.

StSomewhere:
The Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary is a heckuvalot nicer coral reef than where the KW boats will take you. Up around milemarker 25-ish. Plan for at least an hour's drive from around Duval Street, in case traffic sucks.

I will say that I've had varied experiences with some of the dive ops around there. One that I haven't tried (yet) but that comes highly recommended is http://www.wreckreationcharters.com, run by Scubaboard's very own biscuit7. Also does trips to the Adolphus Busch wreck.
mile marker 21..about 30/35 min fom the Galleon where we stay at front st...dove on rachels boat alot..crewed a few times for capt jim that ran it previously.you will /can see anything at Looe key..seen carib reef sharki,nurse,eagle ray ..etc

Alan in ATL:
My son and I are vacation type divers. We've been diving for many years, though. We do believe that in our trips to Key West we have (possibly) seen what is worth seeing there. That's not a shot at Key West, we just want a change if we can.

It's an annual family trip to Key West, so that has to be the base of operations. That said, we just wondered if any of you much more experienced folks could point us in the direction of a good "day trip" up north into the lower/middle Keys?

Specifically, we are looking for a simple but interesting dive that we could take in, but that would only be a day trip from Key West. We are stopping to dive in Key Largo on the way down, so we don't need to back track that far north.

We are run-of-the-mill open water divers, but we aren't a hindrance or attention *****s on a dive boat. Looking for something consistent with our skill and experience levels.

Is there such a critter? Any shop in particular you'd suggest for a basic 2 tank daylight dive?

We're headed down 3/18.

I'd appreciate any helpful hints.
Looe Key Reef Resort (about MM 25) does 3-tank trips every day, leaving at 10:00am. They take divers and snorkelers on the same trip, but Looe Key is generally pretty shallow everywhere. A couple days a week they offer an Adolphus Busch trip, but they may require AOW certification. Looe Key is much preferable to anything available by day boat from Key West.

oly5050user:
mile marker 21..about 30/35 min fom the Galleon where we stay at front st...
Ah, yes, and yet so many people go down to the keys to relax but bring their "hurry sickness" along with them. Totally missing the point of Keys Time. Oh well. KW traffic doesn't always flow smoothly.

My favorite KW bumper sticker:

Slow Down! This Ain't the Mainland!

Yep, call me.... I can take you to prettier reef than Key West has.

I'm not sure what your schedule looks like, but I have a trip booked to the reef on the afternoon of the 21st already. However, I can run with just 2 divers, so I can be pretty flexible.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom