can anyone freedive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if your experiencing difficulties equalizing there are a few things to try... stay ahead of the game for one by equalizing often. Try raising your head up slightly or even going head-up verticle when you run into the wall of not being able to equalize, this may help. Learn the Frenzel technique of equalization. A google search for "frenzel" will get you lots of "how to's". Learn about packing and having more air available for equalization,, fill your mouth full at the surface also so that air is available.
As far as not being able to hold your breath... you have to just get over it.. you can train to resist that urge to breath.. it hurts sometimes.. can feel like your lungs are on fire but you can get your body more used to the sensation.. it's like everything else..takes practice and sometimes patience.

My freediving record is 55'. I made that in Roatan, Honduras back in August when I was leading snorkeling trips there for NCL. I wish I could practice more but definitely not in upstate SC. :-( I've never timed myself underwater though. It's a lot of fun and a good workout.

NatureDiver:
My freediving record is 55'. I made that in Roatan, Honduras back in August when I was leading snorkeling trips there for NCL. I wish I could practice more but definitely not in upstate SC. :-( I've never timed myself underwater though. It's a lot of fun and a good workout.

Dynamics will greatly increase your working co2 tollerence. before I started doing lots of dynamics I was diving in the 50ft range all day, with a PB in the 70's. now an 90-100ft dive is common place, with my PB in the 120's.

start living at the pool :D

I can currently hold my breath about a min while swimming hard, though I used to be able to go a little longer. How I got from being able to do about 30 secs to a full minute is simple: get in a pool, shallow (3-6 ft works well) and really push yourself. I got to the point I could swim all the way arround the edge of the small pool I was practicing in on one breath.

To do freedive,one must know how to control his breath and learn how to breath.
Most of the freediver breath with the stomach first then only the lung.Means,start fill up the air first in the stomach then only fill up the lung.But what we do when we freedive is always fill up only the lung.When we fill up the lung,our chest is moving,but through the stomach,the stomach is moving.For example,when we sleep,you will see that is the stomach moving not the chest.
I know one of the method those freediver train.They called it square method(in french).You can do this without getting wet.Better before you sleep.First start at maybe 5 seconds.Gradually inhale for 5s until fill up the stomach and lung,stop for 5s,gradually exhale for 5s until completely no air in the stomach and lung.Stop for 5s again.This is ONE cycle.Total time for one breath is 20s.Do it for about 15-20min per day until you feel it is too easy,then move to 6s then 7s,8s,9s,10s.....This is how they train.There is a person I know can do it for 1min(total=4mins)means one breath for 4 mins.
When you do this,it is better to lie down.'The most important thing is start fill up with the stomach then only lung'. and do it in a comfortable manner.DON'T FORCE!
That's what I know and It helps me a lot!!
Hope it helps.

Yves

you might want to check out the new English translaiton of (world champion) Umberto Pelizzari's "Mannual of Freediving" (ISBN: 1928649270). Lot of good specific information.

One word of caution: if you study and practice the available information, you may find you are able to push your personal limits far beyond your initial expectations. The trick is knowing when to say when. Have seen several drownings from shallow water blackout, most all younger, agressive male divers who pushed the limits.

If you are planning to extend duration and range, research the physiology first, and always dive with a buddy who can wait on or near the surface and spot you during deeper dives.

i stick to 6-10 ft of water while freediving (slingling steel) I hover , pick a target , position , dive (relaxed non agressive) shoot and head for air. I find 10 ft is my max comfort depth for this with 6 ft being cake. I know I will never be able to surfave dive down 12-20 ft , hover , aim , shoot , deal with the fish and surface in a comfortable manner. Just take it in stride. the longer you do it the better you will get and the more comfortable. remember to exhale as you dive , stay calm. I smoke about 2 packs of ciggs a day and The last day i went shooting i spent about 5 hrs in the water in 8 foot.

Another thing is using weights. if im in board shorts i wear about 4-8 lbs in my wet suit i wear 12-16 lbs Its way harder to kick down then to kick up. Atleast for me.

I love freediving and I learn in Thailand while I was working in Scuba
you can check my instructors website
Apnea Total www.apneatotal.com
After doing FREE begginers course and advance course I did 4'20 minutes in STATIC (breath holding) and my girl friend did 30 mts freediving with freediving fins (no mono fins...) not bad....

so... keep trying, read, train and never do it alone...

bye

thank you for all the messages.

I don´t get the "stomach breath" very well. The exchange of oxygene
with the red blood cells happens in the lungs. What has the
stomach to do with it?? Can somebody explain, please??

I have a problem to train with company. Here in Brussels I don´t
know anyone interested in freediving... is any of you in Brussels?

thank you again for all the helpful hints.

The stomach breath is actually the trainning you have to do to extend the muscles in your stomach so when you breath you can oxygenate more your body. A great advice is to do yoga, they also do stomach breath, and then do the same breathing than yoga but with your mouth in a slow way.... you should try to buy Humberto P. Freediving manual, great book....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom