Can anyone explain the MK25 Evo Piston? (with pictures)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what I think,

the reason why change from 1 piece construction to 2 pieces construction is to reduce the cost of production. Compare the time and metal use and waste to "machine" a solid rod to actual a piston to just thread the piston shaft and machines the piston head , joins them together and seal it with glue, I believe the later method safes a lot of cost on machine.

if you look at the first version of the Composite Piston @ yearJan 2000 on MK20, it don't have the small O ring , instead they have a silicon ring to seal between the shaft and the piston head. The silicon ring also stop water contact with the piston shaft ( it is very cold there when HP to LP [is it call joules thomson effect effect?] ) so less chance to freeze up

I suspect there is some problem with this design and the second version of Piston @ May 2002 is launched with the new O ring to seal between the shaft and the piston head...,

after that, a few new "improvement" has been done on the piston and I believe now is the final version .....

Back
Top Bottom