camping near Pt.Lobos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to head down from Marin to dive Pt.Lobos on Oct.9. I'm thinking of camping instead of a hotel this trip. The Pt. Lobos site lists these campgrounds as being nearby. Does anyone have any thoughts on these or other good options? I'm just going to throw down a tent. I can deal with being surrounded by RVs if I have to but I'd rather not.

9. VETERANS MEMORIAL PARK
40 primitive campsites. RVs to 21 feet. No hook-ups. Take Highway 68 West to Skyline Forest Drive, turn right, turn left at stop sign. Drive to the bottom of the hill.

10. SADDLE MOUNTAIN
Privately owned. Tent and trailer sites, hook-ups, and showers. Take Carmel Valley Road four miles to Shulte Road, turn right. Follow to the end of the road. (Closed during the winter).

11. CARMEL-BY-THE-RIVER RV PARK
Privately owned. Hook-ups and showers. Next to Saddle Mountain.

The only one with which I've had any experience was Veteran's Memorial Park. I took an open water class up there last summer after their final open water dive so we could have a little party. Naturally, the rangers chased us away before we even had the charcoal going. The sites were fairly small and close together, but the setting was really quite nice. You would probably want to make reservations in advance, since I think this one fills up quickly. There were indeed lots of RVs, but I think I saw a few tents as well.

Bruce

Heh, I went tent camping on Saddle Mountain once.

Once.

We stayed in Big Sur - a 30min drive, but well worth it!

I second whoever suggested camping in Big Sur. If you decide to go that way, let me know, and I'll figure out where we've camped down there before.

I've stayed at Saddle Mountain during two seperate diving trips. It's OK. Not the best campground in the universe, but it's way close to Point Lobos and grocery stores. Ya, there are RV's, there but they're at the bottom of the hill so there's no trouble with generator noise, etc. There's hot showers and the bathrooms are cleaned...most of the time. There's a little traffic noise from Carmel Valley Road, but it's not too bad. Would like to check out another campground the next time I head up.

you can sleep in your vehicle free in the breakwater parking lot, as long as the idiots aren't running their generators all night long it works fine for the price you pay.....free.

JustinW:
you can sleep in your vehicle free in the breakwater parking lot, as long as the idiots aren't running their generators all night long it works fine for the price you pay.....free.

But what about all those parking meters? Do you have to keep feeding them at night?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom