Camping and shore dive on Catalina. Feasible ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji:
Ignore all the other posts. no offense to the posters! :)

Camping and shore diving at two harbors is easy and great, I did it in July.

No need to bother with a boat or kayak.

The diving near the campground is excellent, some of the best in catalina. keep all your gear at the campsite. when you wake up, gear up, walk 30 seconds to the water, make the short swim to the dive site and you are in heaven.

The trucks that transport your camping gear from and to the ferry will also transport full/empty tanks for you from/to the dive shop.

It's that easy.

enjoy, and let us know how it was!

scott

ps - just make sure you get a campsite near the shore, #5 or #6 should work out fine...I think they have a map of the campsites on-line

Well I just noticed that I will be there during some sort of crazy festival Buccaneer Days Oct 5-7... Anyhow, I could only get a camping spot at Two Harbor for Thursday night so we'll do some diving Thursday/Friday near Two Harbor and move to the camping near Avalon for Friday/Sat night.

thanks for the info.

Came back last night. Thanks for the tips guys. Did some shore dives in Two Harbors and Avalon. Got to check out the wreck (Valliant?) outside the diving park also. Didn't get to go to Ship Rock as the wind was kicking bad when we were there on Friday. Can't wait to go back again.

Haven't dive at the Valiant yet, how was it?

OMG... good thing you were in Avalon during Buccaneer Days. I won't go near Two Harbors that weekend unless it is on a dive boat!

Camping - Visit Catalina Island
Next time you're here try the camping cabins as well. Community cooking and cabins for two people, available November through April. I made several dives in Fourth of July Cove while staying there.
One morning, I heard a noise outside the window of the cabin. I got up to see what it was and was surprised to see a buffalo looking in the window at me.

The Valiant was nice. We swam on the surface and dropped down directly on it. Pretty nice size wreck. Worth the dive. It's in better shape than the one one on the SE corner. We did about 15 min on it and then ascended to about 40' following the bottom and drifted back to the park to finish our dive. Depth was about 90-100' on the wreck. Even with the depth of the wreck, we still got a 50min dive since we drifted in the shallow part of the dive park.

Two Harbors wasn't too bad on Thursday night. Next time, we plan on spending most of our time in Two Harbors and renting a skiff or kayaks if weather allows. The park in Avalon is nice but Two Harbors is such a nice place to hang out. Plus, we camped in Avalon which was a long walk. Next time we'll get a cheap hotel if we stay there again.

I wasn't impressed by the guys at the dive shop in Two Harbors but the folks in Avalon were great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom