Camouflage wetsuits for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LadyAyla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
**NOTE- this post does not pertain to spearfishing itself, just the gear, for use in breaking up my silhouette

Hello ladies! :D

I am posting to ask all of you, as a female, whether any of you have experience in camouflage gear, and what styles for women with the best form and pattern you might recommend?

I would like to spend time unseen making observations underwater, and an easily distinguishable silhouette from below is very undesirable to me.

I like the pattern on this one but I am not too keen on the suit itself at the moment: Riffe Blue Cryptic Camo Wetsuit, Spearfishing Gear - ScubasWorld

There are also boots, gloves, and even fins that match some of these camo suits, which is a big seller for me!

I understand there could be safety issues, as far as not being easily seen by rescuers and diving buddies.

Last edited:
Okay, I know the camo SCUBA gear tends to be for aquatic hunting...but what makes me wonder is why so few who study marine ecosystems in situ do not use such gear, as long as they have a good buddy system? I know the layman observations I make on dry land tell me aposematism plays a heavy role for many species, as does camouflage. Do very few scientific divers use camo gear? Do any of you feel this may or may not affect the behavior of the aquatic species under study? Do you think it would be beneficial or not, and why?

I am such a noob! Sorry everyone! :blinking:

Good question. I suspect the noise and movement of exhaling through a regulator may be more disruptive than the color of one's wetsuit, but I have no study to back that up. Closed-circuit rebreathers and appropriate color patterns might play a role.

--Spoken as a male, and a recreational diver.--

Good question. I suspect the noise and movement of exhaling through a regulator may be more disruptive than the color of one's wetsuit, but I have no study to back that up. Closed-circuit rebreathers and appropriate color patterns might play a role.

--Spoken as a male, and a recreational diver.--

That is a really good point to bring up, the SCUBA itself being used. I did not yet consider the sound/vibration created by the apparatus. :)

I really do think that color and pattern may play a huge role in what sort of behavior we may see in the ocean...spoken like a true noobie, of course, basing all my suppositions on an entirely different system (dry land). :wink:

I am just surprised so few seem to use this mindset- the one that the hunters use. On dry land, we use the blinds and camo gear of the hunter for observations in the field by scientists. Has this transition not yet taken place in the underwater realm? Should it? Could we make up for the safety risk through our current technology, as with tracking devices?

And why have I not found female camo suits? :yuck: :confused: Do so few women spearfish or prefer to be unseen?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom