camera tank damage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought a new camera and heard that cameras can get damaged enough to leak bouncing against each other in the camera tank on boats during rough seas. Any ideas on how to prevent or minimize that? I was thinking a ziplock bag filled with water and with my camera in it would work since i don't have a clunky strobe yet.

The camera rinse tank is exactly that. Rinse your camera, and then get it out of there as fast as you possibly can. Leaving it in the rinse tank - especially if the boat is under way - is just looking for trouble.

Just keep it on your lap.Use the rinse tank to rinse then keep the camera on your lap while travelling.

I have a DSLR w/ 2 strobes. The boat crew usually sets it in the rinse tank once I hand it to them. As soon as I get my tank off, I work all of the buttons & levers while submerged in the rinse tank, then promptly remove it.

Another thing you can do after you remove it from the rinse tank is to wrap it in a wet towel to keep it from drying. I don't do this, but it works.

Dave

Ditto everyones advice on not leaving the camera in the rinse tank. When I have finised rinsing I put my camera into a soft beer cooler to prevent it drying. The padding of the cooler also helps protect the camera.

Another thing you can do after you remove it from the rinse tank is to wrap it in a wet towel to keep it from drying. I don't do this, but it works.

Dave[/QUOTE]

taking a wet towel with you (you then know it's not wet with sea water) and covering the camera in hot weather is a good way of keeping it cooler.

Here's a trick I learned a long time ago, when you get to your dive location purchase a large plastic tub. They usually cost about 8 or 9 bucks. Take it on board with your camera in it.

I just explain to the crew that I want my camera and strobes in their own tub because of their size. If it is a small boat, I sometimes call ahead and tell them my plan to bring on board my own tub. At the end of the trip, I usually leave the tub for the boat. There is always a use for another tub on every boat.

Holding your camera on your lap or having a crew member stash it is probably more dangerous than leaving it in the dunk tank. Personally, I want my camera in water, which is a great shock absorber. On a lot of boats, the dunk tank is actually big enough and sturdy enough to protect your camera gear, even with other cameras bouncing around in there. But that is not always the case hence my bringing a personal tub on board.

Remember, underwater cameras should be reasonably robust. I hear divers say they are worried about their "delicate" camera equipment. If it's delicate, you really should not be diving with it, right? For the most part, underwater camera gear can take quite a bit of abuse. I have never seen any camera housing spring a leak in a rinse bucket.

Jeff

I have seen two cameras get flooded in the rinse tank on a boat.One was in by itself and the action of the boat movement caused it to hit against the side and dislodge the port causing a flood.Safest thing is to keep it on your lap.

Mine stays in my hands or lap or if there is an available bench I wrap it in a towel but I am never far from it, it mostly stays in my lap. I have seen too many damaged ports and lenses and flooded cameras in the "rinse" tanks. N

I either leave my rig in the tank or in the soft cooler I use to carry it around. I think this is safer than carrying it around the boat unprotected. I have an Ikelite DSLR rig, which weighs about a million pounds, so if you're on the same boat as me, don't use the rinse tank because my camera may crush everything else in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom