camera system traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ordie

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a way to travel with a Nikon D90 Ikelite housing with two Ikelite strobes and arms, two - three lenses and a dome port. A rolling backpack or carry on would be preferable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's been a while since I traveled with my equivalent set up, but I place the housing and ports, arms etc in a large Pelican case that is secured and sent as checked luggage. The camera, lenses and perhaps a strobe travel with me in a LowePro backpack. I normally travel with two cameras so have the SLR case and ports, plus the P&S case which fills the Pelican case nicely.

I pack my housing, strobes and arms in a standard airline approved rolling carry on case, padded with socks and undies in case my luggage gets lost in transit. I carry my camera in my regular LowePro waterproof camera bag packed inside my messenger bag with any magazines, candy or whatever I pick up in the airport. My checked luggage includes my $7.00 Costco cooler bag that I pack my rig in for the boat.

I pack my housing, strobes and arms in a standard airline approved rolling carry on case, padded with socks and undies in case my luggage gets lost in transit. I carry my camera in my regular LowePro waterproof camera bag packed inside my messenger bag with any magazines, candy or whatever I pick up in the airport. My checked luggage includes my $7.00 Costco cooler bag that I pack my rig in for the boat.

+1 for socks & undies. Standard roller carry-on, with housing, camera, strobes, dome, etc. I put arms & clamps in checked baggage.

I find that the Thinktank international works well as a roller bag for international flights, has a very good lifetime warranty, and is less expensive than the LowePro bag.. I also put my arms/clamps into a checked bag. - Scott

Depends on where you are going.

For example here in the Asian rim countries the check-in allowance 15 or 20 kilos, depending on the airline. The carry-on is 7 kilos. The check-in weight can vary on the class of your ticket. Some of the airlines have "sports" rates for check-in bags. And yes, they check the weights. They will also check your carry-on if it "looks" heavy.

The beer cooler box + lots of bubble wrap is the time-tested solution:
1. very sturdy, protects the camera.
2. is much cheaper than any special photo gear
3. Looks cheap! If traveling trough countries where a housing = 1 annual salary, you don't give any bad guys any ideas
I've seen lots of photo pros do that, and do it myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom