Camera Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PadiGirl

Reaction score
The only piece of equipment left to buy is a tank and a camera...cameras are more fun (and harder to rent), so the camera is next.
I'm looking for a good entry level, point and shoot.
I saw a Sea & Sea MX10 on-line-- New w/warranty for $349,(plus shipping) which I think is a good price, but is it worth it? Should I take my chance w/a used one (I've seen them on Ebay, but who knows if it's been flooded, coroded, or just abused?)
Any advice on buying? Would anyone buy used from an unknown source?
Thanks,
Sandi

That's a pretty wide open question. First you need to decide if you want film or digital. There are advantages to both, although a lot of lean toward digital. Next you'll need to decide on a budget, with any camera system there's always needed accessories you never think of.

This is a very common question which is answered frequently. Click ----->HERE to go to a good place to start.

As Dee said you need to decide on film or digital before you go any further.
If you are not already very knowledgeable about photography digital is the way to go. $350.00 will buy you a very nice prosumer digital camera in the 4 or 5 megapixel range. A same brand housing for it is under $200.
Personally, I would not buy an MX10 over a digital camera. Ditch the "entry level camera" mentality. $500.00 (+or-) will get you a great digital camera and housing that will last for years producing great pictures.

I have two cameras, A Sony DSCP9 and P10. Each has its own case from Sony 40m depth. Digital and many options while taking pictures. Whole setup internet price less than 500USD. I like it as a good light weight camera and it works both land and sea. 4 and 5 mega pix.

PadiGirl:
I saw a Sea & Sea MX10 on-line-- New w/warranty for $349,

Digital or film, you gotta make the choice BUT I wouldn't buy the MX10...too limiting. Lots of extras you will need to be happy with the photos. It does produce good results, however.

I admit a bias towards digital - you can do so much more with a digital camera right from the beginning; there really aren't any film cameras that offer the same range of features (zoom, macro mode, different shooting modes including full manual etc) that are comparable in price.

And has been covered, you can get a good system that will grow with you for around $500 or less!

Yeah, go digital and get started... plus follow Gillian's advice and skip then entry level.Sony or Olumpus would be the starter of choice... you won't outgrow it for a long time and the quality is excellant...
Good luck and post some pic when you get them..

I first got a Reefmaster and then an Oly 5050 and in retrospect, I should have gone Olympus from the start. There were too many limitations to the Reefmaster. I couldn't get close enough to the little critters even with the marco lenses. It was a cost issue initially but had I gone Olympus from the beginning, I now would have enough money to buy an external strobe. I agree, pay a little more now and avoid regretting it later. It's worth a few more payments on the Visa card!!

Nick

Aloha Padi Girl
I like some of the older Sea and Sea cameras. I have had excellent luck with several Motomarine 35 cameras I have purchased off e-bay. I have found several with the origional box, and some accessories, like wide angle lenses. The same camera is also called the Hanimax Amphibian, its just an earlier model. Features of these cameras would be, adjustable F-stop, Flash on and off, 3 film speeds, variable distance focus.
A bit more complicated than the Point and shoot, but with better results.
What cameras do I use? I have the Nikonos 2, 3, 4, 5. Hanimax Amphibian, Sea and Sea Motomarine 35, Olympus Stylus400. I use the Sea and Sea most often.
The reason? Nikonos is delicate, and expensive, Olympus has that darned lag time, and I have so little invested in the SEA and Sea cameras, I probably paid an average of $40
per camera, so if I get a flood, I don't cry for so long.
Aloha Turtleguy

PadiGirl:
The only piece of equipment left to buy is a tank and a camera...cameras are more fun (and harder to rent), so the camera is next.
I saw a Sea & Sea MX10 on-line-- New w/warranty for $349,(plus shipping) which I think is a good price, but is it worth it? Should I take my chance w/a used one (I've seen them on Ebay, but who knows if it's been flooded, coroded, or just abused?)
Any advice on buying? Would anyone buy used from an unknown source?
Thanks,
Sandi

I have seen nikonos on E bay with a lens $300-$400 thats where I got mine from.

I got the Reefmaster DC300 in January. I was renting equipment at the time and thought that the first thing I had to buy (other than snorkel gear) was the camera. I now wish I had held off for a while as, even though it takes great pictures, it is limited in what it can do. Once I have finished buying my "extra" equipment, then I will be looking at the camera situation again to see what I can do about it. If you are going to spend serious money on a decent set up, make sure it is something that you will be happy with for a few years, at least, and not 6 months like me. :)

PS. I don't suppose there is a decent (deeper than 60')housing for a Canon Digital Rebel - is there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom