calypso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd agree that a Calypso or Mk 2 will be on the block for replacement as your primary reg soon if you plan on deep diving, but that it would still be a great first reg.

If you plan to do deep diving in cold fresh water right you should be using, at a minimum, a large pony bottle and Calypso or Mk 2 would be an ideal reg for that purpose.

Even better you could go the tech route with advanced nitrox and deco procedures after your AOW and basic nitrox cert and then use (preferably) doubles and a deco bottle. Again, the Calypso or Mk 2 would make a great deco reg.

In 37 degree water the MK 25 is not ideal unless you have good cold water technique. I'd also use the G250 second stage long before I would use the S600 in cold water - the S600 has a tendency to develop a slight freeflow in cold water that can in turn push the Mk 25 over the edge and into a freeze situation, particularly if you are using 3000 psi or higher tanks.

I am a Mk 20/25 fan but locally, I recommend the Mk 16 for cold deep dives. It still offers a flow rate of about 170 scfm which is more than enough for even deep technical dives. I also prefer the larger diaphragm of the G250 to the smaller one in the S600.

I agree with all the comments so far, even if I may not agree on the eqipment. Buy the most reg for your money with an eye on what type of diving you'll be doing 1, 5, 10 years from now. Think of your money spent in terms of $$ per year.

If you buy a $300 reg but aren't happy with it in two years, that's $150/yr. But if you spend $500 on a reg that will last 5-10 years, then you're at $50-$100/yr.

I love my Aqualung Legend LX's. I have two personally. I/we also use LX's as rental and training regs.

I recentely had to decide on a new regulator because my old Sherwood is falling apart. I decided on the new Calypso because it indeed performed excellent in the test mentioned in the first post in this thread, is easy to maintain, is cheap and has a very simple design which can be regarded as a good sign for it's reliability.
I haven't had it open yet, so I can't tell you how it looks inside [can't be worse than Sherwood] but I have been diving with it and it really is a very nice breather that matches much more expensive types I've been using in the past.
The balanced piston first stage performs well; I found no difference in ease of breathing at 20 or 220 Bar.

In the end all regulators are solid performers that will suit any of your needs in recreational diving. Basically, all you need is air, and just about enough of it. This regulator gives you just that.
All the rest is really marketing-bogus.

I think that you will find that it is similar until you get to the balanced part. The sherwood does it with air and the Aqualung does it with water. Except for the lack of the sintered filter and a smaller seat, they are kinda similar inside.

Back
Top Bottom