calypso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanick

Contributor
Reaction score
how about the new agualung calypso 2004 regulator
has anyone bought or tried the reg
it scored 19 out of 20 on breathing and
53 out of 70 on ergonomics
seemd to be good reg for its smalll price under $300
i was thinking of buying it for my 1st reg
right now im using my buddys other setup
which is posiedon just little old

Nothing wrong with the calypso. Not very high performance and if your diving evolves to anything more than the basic level, my thought is that you would begin to be dissatisfied with it. I think that there are alot better regs that you can get for that price. Places like Scubatoys.com has the Mares Abyss (very high performance reg) on sale for under 300. But regularly you can find the zeagleenvoy and other regs of the like for under $300. Personally Iwould look at another reg. Take a look at what is on sale at your LDS or what your other options are.

thanks for advice
why is not a high po reg
it seemes to do well on scoring

The Calypso is a conventional unbalanced "flowby" piston design and has some inherent limitations in flow casused by practical limits in orifice size and working range betwene the hard and soft seats.

While this design is very simple and extremely relaible and easy to service, it will not deliver the air needed at depths much below 100 ft. and can be over breathed at shallower depths in hardworking situations.

I think that the regulator rating systems are based on the regulator's class and price level.
Most of the reviews are based on bang for your buck value. And if a reg does good there, it doesn't necessarily tell you how it does in comparison to the higher priced ones. DA is right it is a lower performance piston design.

thanks
i kinda understand
now im looking at some type of scuba pro
guy that works with me swears by them
i think he has a 500
and an older g250 for his backup
and he is tyin to get me to get SP

we switched to the Calypso for our rental and teaching regs about a year ago from the Mares Axis.

Great for rental, great reliability, nice ergonomics and good price.

Good first reg, and The Abyss (while it is a rolls royce of regs) is very heavy for travelling and the MR16 has the same internal geometry with less metal.

If your diving evolves, then the calypso could become an ideal stage or deco reg where you dont need high performance.

Check the price of the Titan, I recently bought one of those and love it, usually the sweet taste of a bargain lasts far shorter than the bitterness of low quality. Buy the best reg your money can buy.

scubanick:
thanks
i kinda understand
now im looking at some type of scuba pro
guy that works with me swears by them
i think he has a 500
and an older g250 for his backup
and he is tyin to get me to get SP
Just because the calypso isn't the greatest thing in the world dosn't mean that you have to abandon the entire line-up. However if you are going to the scubapro their euivalent of the calypso is the Mk2. Anything else is an improvement. Same with the Aqualung. I would also recommend the titan. It replaces the legendary conshelf. Same internally. What type of diving are you intending on?

im recreational at the moment just OW
but next year i plan on AOW, nitrox, and deep dive lastly
i do want to do wreck diving, there is a lake here in SC(lake jocassee)
which my buddy wants me to go to with him say it gets cold
my boss went there and when he went 132 ft water temp was 37 degrees
but will also be goin to the keys and warmer water also
so the reg i want will be needed for these conditions
am i trying to get alot in one reg

scubanick:
im recreational at the moment just OW
but next year i plan on AOW, nitrox, and deep dive lastly
i do want to do wreck diving, there is a lake here in SC(lake jocassee)
which my buddy wants me to go to with him say it gets cold
my boss went there and when he went 132 ft water temp was 37 degrees
but will also be goin to the keys and warmer water also
so the reg i want will be needed for these conditions
am i trying to get alot in one reg

There you go then. You have said it all. Between wanting a reg that will do it all for you, and having ambitions for upgrading your cert soon I think that you would be wise to put the calypso and the Mk2 out of your mind. The are entry level regulators that you will want to trade in as soon as you get past OW. Now don't get me wrong this doesn't mean that you have to go absolute and get the bestest, most expensive regulator. No. It just means that you should keep the thought of advancement in mind when selecting your reg. Something like the Aforementioned titan would be alright without emptying your pockets. OR if you are not still looking at scubapro, the S550 with either the MK16 or MK25 first stages would do you well. Or even the G250 second stage. It is a little bigger but a proven design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom