Calling Ontario underwater treasure hunters - $500 reward

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWishes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

Hope everyone had an awesome Labour Day weekend and an easy first morning back to school for those going and/or who have kids who are back for the first day today.

So here's my deal. I'm not a diver (wish I was!) but I need the help of people (or a person) who have either underwater metal detection equipment and/or other gear (goggles, snorkeling stuff and/or diving equipment) in a hurry.

Here's why. I had the unfortunate luck of losing my white gold and diamond engagement ring while swimming yesterday off Beaverton's shores of Lake Simcoe. For those not familiar Beaverton is in Brock Township which is part of Durham Region. It's not far from Sutton, actually. If anyone is familiar with Skipper's Fish/Chips place in the area it's just a few minutes drive from there.

Anyway....I am trying every possible means of getting my ring back - it has great sentimental meaning to me plus it's nearly brand new - just got it in February.

Someone suggested I contact local diving schools in the area to recruit assistance but I don't know of any and really, the water is likely too shallow for a dive though underwater metal detectors would be great for this task. I am sure even without a detector a skilled diver with a sifter might have a chance if in the right location. I did a search in Google and ended up finding this board.

Any suggestions or know of anyone who might be up to the task of helping me find my lost engagement ring who has underwater equipment for the job? I am offering a $500 reward for its successful return.

The water is very clear at this beach, considering it's freshwater and not saltwater so the job should be fairly easy (you can probably even do it standing up and walking in the water - dont' need to dive/swim as it's so shallow where we were).

For me, a non-diver and non-treasure-hunting-professional, it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack - I'm not sure if there are professionals who are hired for this sort of thing but I can use all the help I can get.

If you're up to the task please PM me or email me at screaming {underscore} success {at} rogers {dot} com - I will give you exact location details of which beach.

I know the odds are few that I'll ever get my ring but I just can't rest easy knowing that I didn't try and do something.

Any suggestions and/or offer of assistance is appreciated. :)

Thanks so much and either way have a nice day.

Owch, this is rough. I'm afraid of losing my wedding band every time I get in the water. This is why I never dive without gloves when I'm wearing my ring.

I hope that you find your ring though.

Does a metal detector even pick up gold, being non-magnetic and all?

Thanks for the input/replies. I've got a Sutton, Ontario guy going over there now and hoping he'll find something but I may post at Ontario Diving as well - thanks Oren for that advice. :)

Here's hoping...

Re: Metal detector - good point but then why would beachcombers bother with them at all if they had no hope of picking up anything of real value? Hmmm.... I'm curious now.

Anyway, thanks again - the offer is still open to anyone who may get this who is interested so please don't hesitate to contact me. Maybe if more than one diver ends up interested they can team up and if they find it can split the reward if they wish. :wink:

Ok - posted over there as well. I have a great guy going over there right now (35 years diving, says if anyone can find it it's him... here's hoping) so wish me luck folks. :) Thanks for making scuba such a popular sport that I'm even able to find anyone interested in looking for me. It sucks being 2 hours from the place I lost it, so I can't even go look myself. The guy who's heading over is a good samaritan (or just really wants $500! lol) - I wish him luck and me too. :)

HUGE update - thank you SO much to diving superstar #1 who knows who he is. Thank you so much to ScubaBoard.com for EXISTING so I could put out the beacon to find a willing soul to help me in this crazy quest to find my ring. It has been found and the $500 reward goes to the good samaritan who took the time to find it for me. :) I LOVE the Internet! :)

And I may just have to take up diving now. <LOL>

What are the odds?! Seriously? Wow I feel lucky today. Thanks everyone who replied either here or in PM with support from afar. Totally appreciate it.

Wow! Thanks for that update!

How come stuff like this does not end up on the evening news?

Fantastic news on finding your ring !!!!!

How come stuff like this does not end up on the evening news?

What great news!

It certainly should be on the evening news. Hope Scubawishes will contact a station in the area. The news folks are always looking for interesting human interest filler for slow news days. This would certainly be something that I would think they would like to have on the shelf.

What do you think Miss Wishes?

And since your ring was found and you have good news to share, can we ask for a bit more? How did your lucky bo ask for your hand to marry him?:confused:

Let me get out the :popcorn::popcorn:!!!

And might I suggest that you and your feller take up diving lessons. There are some great honeymoon spots with wonderful diving!

Back
Top Bottom