Calling Monterey shore divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

We're putting together a few more printable shore diving maps, and I need your help. Below are links to low-res proofs of the Breakwater, MacAbee Beach and Lover's Point. I'm definitely not as familiar with these sites as many of you are, and I'd love it if you guys can take a gander and let me know if anything is wrong, missing, extraneous, irrelevant, etc.

In particular, I don't know if there are any underwater landmarks/sites at Lovers and MacAbee that should be included, or where the two or three specific entry points at Lover's are (and what Lovers 1, Lovers 2, etc. specifically refer to).

I'm also thinking about labeling known hazards/obstacles to be aware of (exposed rebar on the SE end of MacAbee beach, the rocky/bouldery area in the middle of San Carlos Beach, etc. Any local knowledge of cautionary areas on-shore or off would be great as well.

Breakwater: http://i43.tinypic.com/2ep343d.jpg
MacAbee: http://i40.tinypic.com/2gvt0nt.jpg
Lover's: http://i42.tinypic.com/2cxjiie.jpg

Thanks!
Kenn

Ken,
I'm not sure if the pipe's orientation is correct... Maybe someone can verify. Among the landmarks you can add for the BW are the "Cannon" and the block anchors.. The Cannon is just off the bend in the wall about 40 ft away if I remember correctly. Oh also you can put the big anchor on there as well as something people can look out for.

(I'm sure some DM's out there have done their mapping project and would have items to contribute)

Ken,
I'm not sure if the pipe's orientation is correct... Maybe someone can verify. Among the landmarks you can add for the BW are the "Cannon" and the block anchors.. The Cannon is just off the bend in the wall about 40 ft away if I remember correctly. Oh also you can put the big anchor on there as well as something people can look out for.

(I'm sure some DM's out there have done their mapping project and would have items to contribute)

Thanks Ben, I'll check out those leads (unfortunately I don't know where the anchor, anchor blocks and cannon are, exactly--when I find out I'll place markers on the map). I know I found a high-res Breakwater bathy map once that even showed the pipe...gotta search that out again.

There were some really nice maps from the old 5th D-X Metridium Mapping Project that showed the pipe and the rocks pretty nicely... but unfortunately all that data might be lost to the sands of time...

(next time you're free I'll drag you guys out to some of the land marks...) Then you can show me some of those mad Fundies skilz :wink: and pop a bag and we can shoot some headings to put them on the map

We put a GPS in a case to mark objects. Works pretty darn good. Send it up to the surface and give it a minute or two, then wind it back down.

Hey Peter,
When are you coming down? I still have to drag you and Ryan on a "Grand Tour" one of these days...

Ben

No doubt! The grand tour would be much appreciated. I am coming down this weekend, but not sure we are diving as the conditions do not look favorable. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/267989-ca-dive-options-weekend-feb-7-8-a.html

The better question is when are you going to join us on the North Coast? Or are you afraid? :eyebrow: Did you see Ryan's report on NCD from last week? :D Sometimes it can be excellent diving.

Sorry Kenn, I do not really have much more to add to your thread other than keeping it on the top :)

So im with Ben, something about the pipe just seems off.

I know there was someone here on the forums (Sorry its late for me) who was doing some detailed mapping on where the cannon/anchors are. I know my DM partner and I mapped two adjacent sections of the Metridium fields that could possibly be donated towards the project. Granted they are both maybe 3-4 dives worth of details, but better than nothing I suppose. EDIT: and they are both hand drawn. Plus it would probably make that site no longer available for DM's to map..

Also can anyone confirm that there is a white rear bumper to a car out off a little ways east from the 3/4 or so mark on the pipe? You know I had plenty of air and it was a 50 foot vis day, but I was assisting with a class and couldn't go confirm it, but I swear I saw one. If it wasnt a bumper it was shaped like one at least.

Thanks for the lead, I've emailed the elusive Guy.

I've never seen the anchor myself, partially because I always forget to look under the water until I've surface kicked well into the deeper sections of the wall.

Back
Top Bottom