Calling from Coz/Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
I'm getting wirelss internet here at my office at the end of the week...I wonder if it will work with that. I have DSL at home which I am sure it will work with. I know that the cable conenction is too slow here, not to mention unreliable.

Wait...You can get DSL at home but not at the new office? How does that work, how big is cozumel again??

How fast is your wireless/cable internet? If its too slow it wont work either way, wireless has nothing to do w/ vonage.

Cozoholic:
Wait...You can get DSL at home but not at the new office? How does that work, how big is cozumel again??

How fast is your wireless/cable internet? If its too slow it wont work either way, wireless has nothing to do w/ vonage.

Trust me, it is not as easy or as logical as it is in the states. If it was easy and available before, I would have had it long ago.

Cable internet is available all over the island but DSL is not.

DSL is only available if there is an available phone line and if they have the fiberoptics running to that particular area. They don't have the lines available on all parts of the island yet.

At the office, my landlord is loaning her home phone line to me so I can make and receive phone calls at the office. I told her I couldn't rent the office space without a phone line and the phone company said two years for an available line. DSL lines are not available yet in that area, and there are four seperate businesses on my street who have requested it. There are only so many phone lines per area and they don't just add lines when they need to here. You literally have to wait until someone cancels their phone or get lucky in my case and have someone with an extra line they aren't using. I waited close to 2 years to get my phone lilne at home. The DSL just became available in my neighborhood where I live a few months ago and then there was a waiting list for the equipment. I finally got it about a month ago more or less.

This is why I am going with the wireless intenet at the office because the cable internet is horrible here. Wireless is supposed to be in the 256 to 385kbps range as far as speed goes.

I feel liberated because I can finally cut all ties to the cable company here...it is the absolute worst. I have Dish network at home for TV as well, so no more CABLE for anything once my wireless is installed tomorrow!!

Christi:
Trust me, it is not as easy or as logical as it is in the states. If it was easy and available before, I would have had it long ago.

DSL is only available if there is an available phone line and if they have the fiberoptics running to that particular area. They don't have the lines available on all parts of the island yet.

At the office, my landlord is loaning her home phone line to me so I can make and receive phone calls at the office. I told her I couldn't rent the office space without a phone line and the phone company said two years for an available line. DSL lines are not available yet in that area, and there are four seperate businesses on my street who have requested it. There are only so many phone lines per area and they don't just add lines when they need to here. You literally have to wait until someone cancels their phone or get lucky in my case and have someone with an extra line they aren't using. I waited close to 2 years to get my phone lilne at home. The DSL just became available in my neighborhood where I live a few months ago and then there was a waiting list for the equipment. I finally got it about a month ago more or less.

This is why I am going with the wireless intenet at the office because the cable internet is horrible here. Wireless is supposed to be in the 256 to 385kbps range as far as speed goes.

I feel liberated because I can finally cut all ties to the cable company here...it is the absolute worst. I have Dish network at home for TV as well, so no more CABLE for anything once my wireless is installed tomorrow!!

Hi> What is the internet cafe that is going in next to you going to use?

jpomerantz:

Wireless

jpomerantz:

They have cable right now but are also switching to wireless.

Christi:

Christi,

Who is the ISP (not that we have even heard of them) but we have 2 wireless laptops and a pc - both running on optonline via our cable co...Will would probably know, but Im just curious how that works down there.....

Vonage is only 90K upload speed, and If you got close to that you'd definatly notice...

Hooked4Life:
Christi,

Who is the ISP (not that we have even heard of them) but we have 2 wireless laptops and a pc - both running on optonline via our cable co...Will would probably know, but Im just curious how that works down there.....

Vonage is only 90K upload speed, and If you got close to that you'd definatly notice...

See...we have too many damn computers, thought I was signed in under cozoholic....

Becky.

Hooked4Life:
Christi,

It's either Telmex (the phone co) or Cablemas (the cable co). Those are the only two internet providers on the island other than the wireless, which I learned today also gets serviced by Telmex.

The wireless guy came to the office today to see where I want the transmitter and all that jazz. I asked him where his service comes from, how it works, etc. and he said he has a contract with Telmex to provide the service, so the wireless and the DSL service are virtually the same, just one goes directly through your phone line, and the other is transmitted by cells signals basically.

He's coming to install the wireless tomorrow morning at 9:30!!! Timing couldn't be better because I couldn't download e-mails at the office again today. It took me 5 minutes to open Scubaboard and thenm I couldn't open any links. Must have had about 10kbps connection speed...haha!

As you can tell, I AM NOT a technologicy wizard. :)

I re-read your msg and I see that when you said wireless you meant that the ISP sends the signal wireless to your location.

We use vonage at our home and I do know that you can select your upload bandwith as 30Kbps, 50Kbps, 90Kbps. By default it is 90Kbps. Most ISPs have the download speed its the upload speed that you need to be concerned about.

Hooked4Life:
I re-read your msg and I see that when you said wireless you meant that the ISP sends the signal wireless to your location.

We use vonage at our home and I do know that you can select your upload bandwith as 30Kbps, 50Kbps, 90Kbps. By default it is 90Kbps. Most ISPs have the download speed its the upload speed that you need to be concerned about.

Ok...THANKS! I'll ask about that when they come out today to install it!!!

Back
Top Bottom