California Diving (Monterey Most Likely)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

russler01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going to be in the California for a few weeks this June and wanted to do at least one afternoon of diving. Most likely in the Monterey Bay area but not sure yet. Being from Florida and its NICE WARM WATER I am not to sure about the California's cold water being in the 50s. I would like to try a drysuit if I did it but that is if I could rent it. I would like to go on a group trip but would like to go with a good company that would most likely have a dive buddy for me... LOL

Any help on any of this information would be great. On the drysuit I wasn't sure about this but I don't think I will be warm enough in a wetsuit being a cold person and being from Florida... Also would a 7mm wetsuit be warm enough for diving in California. What is the gen temp range for that thinkness of a suit?

Thanks for any help

Well, today's your lucky day. I'm just returning home after a trip to Monterey and 2.5 days of diving in the Monterey area. The water is cold, but it's not the end of the world. I dove a 7mm (well, I think it's technically 6.5, I should check really) full wetsuit and wore a 7mm core-warmer (a thing that looks like what the olympic weight lifters wear but made of neoprene). I did 3 dives the first day and was a bit cold. I did two dives on the two subsequent dives and was always just fine. I could tell the water was cold, but I was still fine. During surface intervals, I would unzip and roll down the top of the wet suit, dry myself up and put on a light shirt and a sweater. You might want to bring a hat, just in case. I've seen many people dive dry, although I did meet local divers diving wetsuits. I would say that if you're doing 2 dives in a day and then no more, you may well be fine in a wetsuit.

You can rent steel cylinders in Monterey with no problem. I used AL80s for the first 2 days and Steel whatever (was my first time using steel cylinders, the initial pressure was 2500 psi and I had about the same volume as an aluminium 80) and I have to say that having less weight is appreciated. Then again, I dive old gear, so no weight integrated stuff and those belts are just evil. If you have a weight integrated BC, it might not be as bad. In any case, steel is good with all that weight.

I dealt with the Monterey Bay Dive Company (Welcome to Monterey Bay Dive Company) and they were really nice. Great service if you ask me. I'll go ahead and recommend them to you, although if you want to look around, I'm sure there are others. MBDC has a boat, the silver prince, which goes out on saturdays and sundays for a two tank trip. There are other boats in the area you can get onto, one I remember is the Cypress something (sorry, I didn't look very hard into these things, but I'm sure you can find the proper info online or someone else will add to this thread).

You're right, the water is in the 50s and it's not going to be florida water, but I'd say it's worth it. Maybe, being from Florida, you've seen it all before, but I thought the amount of life to see there was really impressive. If you're only going to dive for an afternoon, I would recommend you try to go to Point Lobos. It's only about 15-20 minutes away from Monterey and the site is quite amazing. If you want to go there on weekends, though, you'll have to reserve in advance. In fact, they may be booked for weekends over the summer already, one would have to check. During the week, you really only need to show up before 10:30 or 11:00 and you'll be able to go in. Point Lobos is a state reserve and they limit the number of divers to 15 teams of 2 or 3 divers each day.

I don't know how much experience you have, but point lobos has nice easy dives possible if you have someone taking you around the site. Otherwise, there's the breakwater, in Monterey. During the weekend, there will be quite a number of divers there doing classes.

Point Lobos and the breakwater are the only sites I went to, so I'm sure there's a number of sites I'm missing here. There were many people there who agreed with me that Point Lobos is a very, very nice dive site. There may be something more interesting than the breakwater, but I still found the breakwater an interesting site to dive.

By and large, I would say that dealing with the cold water is

a) not that bad (I'm biased, I certified in northern Quebec initially, so cold water is all I had, but I dove with a couple who'd only gone diving in Mexico before and they seemed quite happy and to have enjoyed themselves)
b) really worth it. There's a lot of life out there to see. The kelp is really interesting to look at and it just harbors a lot of life.

I recommend you do it. I'd recommend you do it more than an afternoon, but at the very least, go out and look at it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Russ,

You cannot just rent a dry suit- well you can, but you need to be dry suit certified first! :-D. I too just got back from a trip up to Monterey. Some beautiful diving! I'm already a cold water wetsuit diver, being from San Diego, though some up north would probably disagree with the cold water part compared to them! ;-). Well, we're usually hovering around 54 ish in the winter, though lately its gone as low as 52 and some say even in the high 40s... Anyways, up in Monterey my comp was consistently reading 49 degrees, and I will admit, it was damn cold, even with my 7 mil suit with 7mil vest and hood. It was cold, but definately bareable. My biggest issue was that I was wearing 3mil gloves and booties. If i had 5 mil gloves and booties I think I would have been fine, my core was nice and warm, toes and fingers were frozen after an hour long dive. Anyways, the places I dove:

Point Lobos-x2. Beautiful dive, nice protected cove. Some cool "caves" to explore, though I wouldnt really call them caves. Just carved out openings really, with a little overhead environment, went back maybe 20ish feet? Max depth we hit there was like 30 something I think, no more then 40.

Monestery- x2. Supposed to be a dangerous spot to dive when there is surf, and I could see why, but fortunately it was absolutely flat both times we dove there! I guess you can go deep there, but we maxed out around 50 and stayed relatively shallow in the cove. Another great dive.

Butterfly House- was recommended this by a dive shop- Aquarious dive shop I believe. Good dive site, maxed out around 70', could go deeper though. Big 20 or 30 feet boulders everywhere. Another great dive, but quite a kick to get out there!

Breakwater- not bad, but not nearly as impressive as the other spots.

A spot just north of south of break water- dont remmeber what it was called. There were some fields of white anenamies, though I'm not sure thats what they were. But not a great dive either. Just ok.

Overall, I highly recommend diving monterey, and dont worry about the cold, it will go away after you jump in the warm shower!!

I dive here (and there) with a 7 mm farmer john and have no temperature issues (other than the unprotected portions of my face) at least down to 45 degrees. (Haven't dove colder, yet.)

OW students from all over northern California dive in Monterey in rental wetsuits, even in winter, and don't die and don't swear off diving because of the cold. You'll do fine.

That said, it's standard advice, based upon bad experiences, that warm water divers visiting Monterey do their first dive with a local guide. If you can't join in with a local club or experienced local diver, you can hire a guide at any of the LDSs in Monterey. (I'm partial to Glenn's Aquarius II, right on the Breakwater pier. But their really aren't any bad LDSs there.)

I'm fairly south of Monterey (it's generally warmer here), and it was 48°F at depth yesterday.

It will probably be marginally warmer in June.

Sounds good and will bring my stuff when out there. Jim where do you work that I can do the Drysuit rental with training... Also do you have trips in the area. I am really going to be staying a lot around the Sacramento area and that is why I was choosing Monterey for the area. Is there any other companies reccommend for diving in that area and do they do drysuit training as well.

If there is no reason to be cold I would rather not. As for stopping divng... LOL Never ;-)

Normal Monterey Bay Average Temps 48-52F. Winter is warmer in Monterey Bay 50-52F. Summer is colder in some areas of the bay as low as 48F. I used to use a 7mm farmer John - doubled 14mm on chest area. I was somewhat uncomfortable at 48F summer temp in some locations, but 7mm doubled up will be fine. I now have a Xcel Polar 9/7/6 which is good for all. Carmel South tends to have more to see and better visibility. Pt. Lobos is beautiful - check website for reservations. If interested, click on my name for gear and favorite spots. Sacramento is 3 hrs north and inland from Monterey.

Aquarius Dive Shop - Your PADI 5-Star Scuba Dive Center in Monterey for Training, Equipment, Service, and Rentals

Monterey Bay

Just found a piece of crumpled up paper in with the bills from the trip. Here are two dive boat operations you can try in Monterey:

Beach Hopper
831-458-3648

Escapade
831-465-1185

Glad to see you'll be diving Monterey.

Sounds good and will bring my stuff when out there. Jim where do you work that I can do the Drysuit rental with training... Also do you have trips in the area. I am really going to be staying a lot around the Sacramento area and that is why I was choosing Monterey for the area. Is there any other companies reccommend for diving in that area and do they do drysuit training as well.

If there is no reason to be cold I would rather not. As for stopping divng... LOL Never ;-)

Russ.

I am with Dolphin Scuba Center Of Sacramento CA 916-929-8188.

We almost always have a class going to Monterey, And or if not a class we The Dolphin Nuts are also down there just for fun and you would be welcome to join us and we would be happy to show you around.

Look Forward to your trip , You will Enjoy Monterey!!

Oh by the way, As mentioned in a post above, While I am in Monterey I also use Glens Aquarius II Dive shop right on the breakwater.

You Can PM me if you need any extra help of info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom