California Divemaster with a youtube channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all!
I'm currently a Freediver/Spearfisher/Divemaster/Scientific diver out of California and have made a youtube channel that I was hoping to share around.

MaverickDiving

I love critics so any ideas or ways to make better videos would be much appreciated.

I love diving and i love sharing it with everyone!

Freediving in the Cove is a good first start. Post production would help a little. Have you considered identifying the critters you spot? As a scientific diver (I assume through one of the UCs) your knowledge would add value to the production. The abalone you show, was that a green ab? Scientific name? Too boring for your viewership? You have the ability to find the critters and focus in on them. A video light would help too. It is remarkable how the power on the lights has been going up as the price and size has been coming down. Are you looking to tell a story, or just chronicle your dives. Is this meant to be a video log book? If so, provide some of the log book details (depth, location, vis, etc)

That said, I did like the music you selected for a couple of your videos.

Who is your target audience for your channel? Is it youngsters like yourself? If so, the self-described juvenile behavior present in your sunset dive video will have you top out viewership at the number of friends you have on your Facebook page, assuming you can induce all of them to watch your videos.

From what I see, there is little to distinguish your videos on your channel from the dozen or hundreds of other videos. What I will call the "socal fratboy with tanks" genre has a very limited following and having seen one video, the clones quickly become tiresome, kind of like watching someone's super 8 home movies of their vacation at Yellowstone. Its kind of like watching backyard boxing videos, not much talent, lots of time wasted, a lot of talking, no real skill demonstrated but a cool punchout every so often..

You have an interest and a talent, so stay with it.

Thirty years ago I helped train a neophyte scientific diver in Socal. We dived our brains out, mostly beach dives because we couldn't afford boats too often. His first camera was a Sea and Sea Motor Marine II that he first used when we did a winter break trip to Baja, camping on the beach. Today he is one of the best marine wildlife photographers in the world. He got there one image at a time, one dive at a time.

Wow, thank you for the best response I could hope for.

I love the idea of ID'ing the animals, dunno why I haven't thought about it sooner.

Post production and lighting is just my amateurishness in the film editing and experience and i hope to hone it over time. I intend to start using a light more often.

Haha the sunset dive was a nod to my brothers whos birthday it was when i showed him. Inside jokes, banter, I thought it was funny and i always get a kick when watching it.

Really really appreciate the feedback, thanks for your time and hopefully ill have a better one, more unique video up soon.

Thanks from the "socal fratboy with tanks"

Wow, thank you for the best response I could hope for.

Really really appreciate the feedback, thanks for your time and hopefully ill have a better one, more unique video up soon.

Thanks from the "socal fratboy with tanks"

I will look forward to seeing your future productions. Some folks up here do a lot of underwater video using go pros etc. I don't quite have the knack, you probably do from what I saw. My talent is more in writing stories, I rely on others for the visuals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom