Calibrating cheap torque wrenches for cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are using a pully, you can use the pully to convert the force of the gravity on the weight 90 degrees to the wrench in the horizontal plane and avoid all that weight compensation BS.

Pullys do not need to bend the rope a whole 180 degrees.

Of course the whole weight idea is only as accurate as the known weight and the accuracy of the lever arm measurement.

Personally, I think you really need more to do. Just use the wrench as is out of the box and torque it to the middle of the specified range and call it good. It's not like it is a component for the space shuttle or anything.

LOL have to agree with your last paragraph - if you really feel the need for a torque wrench that is.

However if you realy want to do it, a pulley won't cut it unless you have some way of accurately measuring the coefficient of static friction in the pulley bearing.
Its definitely more accurate to do it with a dead weight and factor in the torque contributed by the handle (and rope)

This whole thread sounds like an equipment solution to a skills problem

That's exactly the point: I expect to do 5-6 regs every 2-3 years for my household, and have no hope of keeping any skills I may pick up over such an extended period of time.

So I gladly trade (partially) my lack of skills against a $20 wrench:wink:

And I'm grateful to this board for teaching me all the other stuff that I didn't know!

And I'm grateful to this board for teaching me all the other stuff that I didn't know!
I have it on good authority that Christolube is the best lube ever made for spinning wheels - you know, the kind they use to turn sheep into sweaters and stuff.

However if you realy want to do it, a pulley won't cut it unless you have some way of accurately measuring the coefficient of static friction in the pulley bearing.

I would bet that this would be negligible compared to the human error in calculating the additional forces contributed by the wrench (and rope). :popcorn:

:D

I have it on good authority that Christolube is the best lube ever made for spinning wheels - you know, the kind they use to turn sheep into sweaters and stuff.

+1

Also, it works wonders for shower stall single control units.

I'm making diner right now. Since this stuff is specified to 400°, is it safe to fry stuff with it?

I'm making diner right now. Since this stuff is specified to 400°, is it safe to fry stuff with it?

I don't know about frying, but muffins sure do slide out nicely if you use it to grease the pan. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom