Calcutta boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blacthorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anyone has any information or thoughts of Calcutta Boats? They make catamaran power boats that are used for fishing etc. The web site is http://www.calcuttaboats.com/

Thanks in advance

I had never heard of them before. Although I generally don't care for cats for astetic reasons, I prefer the clasic lines of a conventional hull. I do like the fold down transom for two reasons. One being the ease of access for diving and second for the ability to shed a large volumn of water quickly in the event of taking a large wave over the bow especially in a open center console boat.
I wish they had some views of the underwater sections of the hull. Judging by the neatness of the wiring and fuel line instalation there is hope that it is actually a quality boat as opposed to a lot of others on the market.

I agree with captain, I prefer the lines of a mono hull boat. Having said that though, that is one of the nicer looking catamaran designs I have seen.

I bought my boat mainly for fishing, it is a deep v hull and a little tippy at rest, but has an awesome ride for a 23 foot boat.

The cat may indeed be the ultimate dive platform. Stable, seaworthy in most cases and roomy.

I am surprised that max HP is only 260. That seems a little low even for a cat.

I have a Twin Vee and love it, would never go back to a V hull. I don't know anything about the Calcutta, but you can post on The Hull Truth, and I'm sure you'll get some input, as its a true boating forum.

The hull weight is only 2800 pounds with minimal wetted surfaces. Twin 130 4-strokes will get you anywhere pretty fast even with fat divers.

I have a Twin Vee and love it, would never go back to a V hull. I don't know anything about the Calcutta, but you can post on The Hull Truth, and I'm sure you'll get some input, as its a true boating forum.

I'm taking delivery of my first Cat in March (C-Dory, Tomcat). The first time you cruise through chop on a Cat compared to the same size mono hull you will be sold.

Take the Hull Truth with a grain of salt, I found most of the participants are fisherman from NY/NJ with the same boats and same bad attitude :wink: Not everyone of course....

I have one. It is an excellent boat and is exceptionally fast and efficient for 26'. Mine is powered with twin 115 Yamaha 4 strokes and cruises at 35mph on 11-13 gph depending on load. It comfortably handles 4 divers with 8 tanks and full gear and will handle more than that if needed. The guys at the factory are very open about the boat's capabilities and are very able to help you plan the appropriate rig for your circumstances. There is no other boat like it. I looked for a long time before buying it new in 2002 and have been extraordinarily happy with it. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom