Calculation on having ENOUGH air for DECO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just trying to learn a little bit more about deco but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around deco & air supply.
I understand that if I stay at certain depths for a extended period of time that will put me into a deco obligation. That being said what is the calculation to figure out actually the depths of the deco stops and if I would have a enough air to do so.
Thanks

My recomendation from one Rookie to another Rookie, take the Deep Diving Specialty and the TDI NITROX online class, with those two courses you will learn how to calculate how much gas you need and what nitrox mix you use to extend your bottom time staying withing the NDL.

Don't bother with PADI or SDI Nitrox, go for the TDI Nitrox class, it is a little more complete as it go in more detail, be prepared, have a printer on hand so you can print out the support material that way you can study from them, if you can order the TDI nitrox book much better, it will be easier and faster to answer the tests on the online course.

And do not penetrate the Wreck, just window shopping.

Last edited:
My recomendation from one Rookie to another Rookie, take the Deep Diving Specialty and the TDI NITROX online class, with those two courses you will learn how to calculate how much gas you need and what nitrox mix you use to extend your bottom time staying withing the NDL.

Don't bother with PADI or SDI Nitrox, go for the TDI Nitrox class, it is a little more complete as it go in more detail, be prepared, have a printer on hand so you can print out the support material that way you can study from them, if you can order the TDI nitrox book much better, it will be easier and faster to answer the tests on the online course.

And do not penetrate the Wreck, just window shopping.

Thank you for your help

With regards to TDI, I'll offer a different view. Just find a good instructor and don't worry about the agency. Don't get me wrong, I'm certified through TDI, but if you find a good instructor who you mesh with, you'll learn a lot regardless of the certifying agency. For example, my instructor followed the guidelines for the TDI courses, but we also spent time talking about the pros and cons of how other agencies do things. I particularly enjoyed the perspective.

Capt Mikey,
Just to clarify you currently don't have a nitrox certification otlr deep/advanced. If this is correct they are your first steps.

What @boulderjohn

An Advanced Nitrox course doesn't provide specific training or certification to conduct decompression dives. .

Did I read you correctly? Are you serious? Which school are you referring to. I read in the IANTD "advanced Nitrox":

Extract from the IANTD INTERNET SITE:

IANTD Advanced EANx Diver (OC, SCR, CCR)
Purpose

The purpose of this program is to qualify divers to do dive to 140 fsw (42 msw) and do decompres- sion stops required dives up to 15 minutes.

What this program must include?

• Academic Sessions
    • Physiological and Psychological Considerations;
    • Oxygen;
    • Decompression Theory;
    • Dive Planing and Gas Management ... and much more

From the TDI Site....

TDI Advanced Nitrox

Are you looking to expand your dive time? Maybe you’re a scientific diver or photographer looking to stay in the water a little longer?The TDI Advanced Nitrox Course qualifies divers to use enriched air nitrox from EAN 21 through EAN 100 percent within your current certification level to a maximum depth of 40 metres/130 feet during dives that do not require staged decompression. Often taught in conjunction with the TDI Decompression Procedures course, this can be considered the foundation of your technical diving career. TDI Advanced Nitrox is also a must for SCR or CCR divers.

Who this course is for:
  • The certified nitrox diver looking to expand their understanding of nitrox mixtures containing more than 40% oxygen
  • The certified nitrox diver looking to expand their in-water skills
  • The certified diver who has interest in moving forward with technical diving education
TDI Decompression Procedures
Are you finding your no- decompression limits (NDLs) a limiting factor to dives? Do you have to ascend sooner than you would like? As sport divers, planned decompression is not something that we do or have been taught.The TDI Decompression Procedures Course prepares you for planned staged decompression diving. With a maximum operating depth of 45 metres/150 feet, this course is your first step beyond the normal sport diving limits. The TDI Decompression Procedures Course combined with the TDI Advanced Nitrox course form the foundation of all other technical courses. After these two courses and some additional experience, the stage has been set for you to move onto additional technical levels.

Who this course is for:
  • The certified Advanced Diver looking to expand their knowledge of decompression theory and diving techniques
  • The certified Advanced Diver who is interested in extending their bottom time
  • The certified Advanced Diver who has interest in moving forward with technical diving education

Did I read you correctly? Are you serious? Which school are you referring to...

As the previous discussion was focused on the TDI version of the AN course that's what I was, naturally, referring to.

The TDI course is far more prevalent than the IANTD one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom