Calculation on having ENOUGH air for DECO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Mikey Likey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm just trying to learn a little bit more about deco but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around deco & air supply.
I understand that if I stay at certain depths for a extended period of time that will put me into a deco obligation. That being said what is the calculation to figure out actually the depths of the deco stops and if I would have a enough air to do so.
Thanks

Firstly, I'd caution against considering decompression diving unless properly trained. This is unforgiving diving and the medical consequences of mistakes and unforeseen, unmitigated failures are severe.

There are varied algorithms used to calculate deco. . . all are significant mathematic calculations performed in parallel on a variety of tissue models/compartments.

In a nutshell... you cannot manually calculate saturation and decompression. It is way beyond the scope of mental arithmetic unless you're Rain Man. Here's a basic example:

For a start, there's a myriad of different algorithms used. So you first need to pick one of those. Some models calculate based on inert gasses saturating into/out from varied tissue compartments at pre-designated speeds. These are called 'dissolved gas models'... and this concept is what most recreational divers are familiar with from scuba courses. An example of this is Buhlmann ZHL16.

Other models also add factors/calculations that attempt to limit the growth of micro-emboli (micro bubbles) on ascent.... these are called 'dual phase models'... as they track nitrogen but also apply some heavy math to limit 'critical bubble radii' based on the mechanics of bubble formation, growth and collapse. Examples of these are VPM-B and RGBM.

Assuming a (more straightforward) dissolved gas model,you need to apply some mathematics for each tissue compartment (i.e. 16 compartments with varying saturation half-times).

Such a formula for saturation level might be:

Buhlmann Saturation Level

Pcomp = Pbegin + [Pgas - Pbegin) x [1-2 -te/tht]

Where:
Pcomp = Inert gas pressure in the compartment before exposure time (bar)
Pbegin = Inert gas pressure in the compartment after exposure time (bar)
Pgas = Inert gas pressure in the mixture being breathe (bar)
tc = Length of exposure time (minutes)
tht = Half time of the compartment

Once you know your saturation level/s, you need to calculate ascent ceiling/s.

Pamb.tol = (Pcomp - a) x b

Where:
Pcomp = Inert gas pressure in the compartment
Pamb.tol = Pressure you could drop to
a and b = a and b values for that compartment and the gas in question

This will give a ceiling for each tissue compartment. The deepest ceiling is where the stop is conducted. The calculation is repeated to provide necessary stops until the surface is reached.

There is a system called Ratio Deco that allows dive planning using some basic maths. This is based on a ratio between depth/time and stops on ascent. The ratio creates an ascent profile that mimics profiles given by decompression algorithms.

Ratio Deco is taught by the agencies GUE and UTD (they both use different versions) and has a debatable level of success.

Most decompression divers use laptop or smartphone software programs to calculate their dives. Examples of these are Multideco, ProPlanner, Z-planner, PastoDeco etc

Try reading this thread for more information:

Tracking Nitrogen in Tec Diving

Once you've worked out your dive plan and ascent schedule, you can work out your gas plan.

Here's an article on gas management:

Scuba Gas Management | Techniques | Course Notes

Last edited:
Or, you could use the NAVY Tables... And, moving down one line as a safely factor.. But, That's way old school diving...

Jim...

Firstly, I'd caution against considering decompression diving unless properly trained. This is unforgiving diving and the medical consequences of mistakes and unforeseen, unmitigated failures are severe.

There are varied algorithms used to calculate deco. . . all are significant mathematic calculations performed in parallel on a variety of tissue models/compartments.

In a nutshell... you cannot manually calculate saturation and decompression. It is way beyond the scope of mental arithmetic unless you're Rain Man. Here's a basic example:

For a start, there's a myriad of different algorithms used. So you first need to pick one of those. Some models calculate based on inert gasses saturating into/out from varied tissue compartments at pre-designated speeds. These are called 'dissolved gas models'... and this concept is what most recreational divers are familiar with from scuba courses. An example of this is Buhlmann ZHL16.

Other models also add factors/calculations that attempt to limit the growth of micro-emboli (micro bubbles) on ascent.... these are called 'dual phase models'... as they track nitrogen but also apply some heavy math to limit 'critical bubble radii' based on the mechanics of bubble formation, growth and collapse. Examples of these are VPM-B and RGBM.

Assuming a (more straightforward) dissolved gas model,you need to apply some mathematics for each tissue compartment (i.e. 16 compartments with varying saturation half-times).

Such a formula for saturation level might be:

Buhlmann Saturation Level

Pcomp = Pbegin + [Pgas - Pbegin) x [1-2 -te/tht]

Where:
Pcomp = Inert gas pressure in the compartment before exposure time (bar)
Pbegin = Inert gas pressure in the compartment after exposure time (bar)
Pgas = Inert gas pressure in the mixture being breathe (bar)
tc = Length of exposure time (minutes)
tht = Half time of the compartment

Once you know your saturation level/s, you need to calculate ascent ceiling/s.

Pamb.tol = (Pcomp - a) x b

Where:
Pcomp = Inert gas pressure in the compartment
Pamb.tol = Pressure you could drop to
a and b = a and b values for that compartment and the gas in question

This will give a ceiling for each tissue compartment. The deepest ceiling is where the stop is conducted. The calculation is repeated to provide necessary stops until the surface is reached.

There is a system called Ratio Deco that allows dive planning using some basic maths. This is based on a ratio between depth/time and stops on ascent. The ratio creates an ascent profile that mimics profiles given by decompression algorithms.

Ratio Deco is taught by the agencies GUE and UTD (they both use different versions) and has a debatable level of success.

Most decompression divers use laptop or smartphone software programs to calculate their dives. Examples of these are Multideco, ProPlanner, Z-planner, PastoDeco etc

Try reading this thread for more information:

Tracking Nitrogen in Tec Diving

Once you've worked out your dive plan and ascent schedule, you can work out your gas plan.

Here's an article on gas management:

Scuba Gas Management | Techniques | Course Notes

Yeah way way way complicated. What I'm looking to do is get a little extra bottom time. My max depth is going to be 130. There is a wreck I want to see. For example if I'm diving a 130 feet I only get 10 minutes of bottom time. I have a 40 cubic pony bottle but I want to use that in an emercgency situation. So that leaves me to try doubles.

Yeah way way way complicated. What I'm looking to do is get a little extra bottom time. My max depth is going to be 130. There is a wreck I want to see. For example if I'm diving a 130 feet I only get 10 minutes of bottom time. I have a 40 cubic pony bottle but I want to use that in an emergency situation. So the only option would to get proficient with doubles. Still giving me only 10 minutes of bottom time but more air for the deco.

All of that would be covered in an advanced nitrox/deco course.

For your safety and for the sake of everyone's enjoyment on the boat please don't do deco on our wrecks until you are properly equipped and trained.

I'm just trying to learn a little bit more about deco but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around deco & air supply.
I understand that if I stay at certain depths for a extended period of time that will put me into a deco obligation. That being said what is the calculation to figure out actually the depths of the deco stops and if I would have a enough air to do so.
Thanks

I would reiterate, have the appropriate training, experience, and equipment.

If you use a commercial dive planning application like MultiDeco (runs Buhlmann and VPM), when you enter your dive plan, it will give you your deco stops and your gas usage. Here is a very simple example, 100 feet for 45 minutes on EAN32, no other gas:
upload_2016-11-29_13-31-56.png

You could easily calculate your own gas use once you have the ascent plan.

For your safety and for the sake of everyone's enjoyment on the boat please don't do deco on our wrecks until you are properly equipped and trained.
Or just the PADI Tech 40 course, which extends bottom time with light decompression (10 minutes), which is exactly what the OP wants to do.

130' is doable with a single tank, but indeed, your bottom time will be pretty limited. I have no idea what your experience/comfort level is, but your profile shows fewer than 50 dives. Very few divers with that level of experience should be going to 130'. I can certainly understand your excitement about visiting deeper wrecks, but as others have mentioned, you should think seriously about additional experience and training before tackling that dive.

this is the best answer do a nitrox /deco course and get a better understanding of whats involved -its nothing to be feared but you do need to know what the consequences/implications of what youre doing, if you've got good basic skills and and enjoy furthering your adventure then do the course. even if you dont always do decompression dives its still a very valuable course and opens the next door to technical diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom