Cactus juice good for Roatan bugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
I wonder if consuming garlic before you leave might help. I go on the garlic pill diet before I go to a tropical location and it seems to help a lot.

I've seen garlic used, too. Kept those nasty vampires away... or was that Werewolves? :D

I've seen people use Hartz No-Pest Flea collars as matching anklets (She started 'woofing' on Wednesday)

I've seen those battery powered anti-mosquito buzzer thingies. Some of them corroded in the salt air after two days, some required batteries that were only available through the Pentagon.

DEET is very good with garlic. I usually boil it in, then smear it on like peanut butter. The Sand Flies :11ztongue love it.

If there was a final answer, somebody woulda' bought all of the land (first) and then announced the cure. The Sand Flies are the only thing that keeps development money out of Roatan. That maybe and TACA. :crafty:

I can't offer any advice for anti-bug juice, but I'm glad you asked the question. I'm also taking my first trip to Roatan from May 22 thru 29. What resort are you staying at? Maybe there should be a scubaboard get-together.

My husband and I along with two other couples will be staying at the Inn of Last Resort. From what I understand it is on the West End not too far away from AKR. We will just miss RoatanMan as he is leaving the island on the 22nd :-(

Where will you be staying?

scubaotter:
My husband and I along with two other couples will be staying at the Inn of Last Resort. From what I understand it is on the West End not too far away from AKR. We will just miss RoatanMan as he is leaving the island on the 22nd :-(

Where will you be staying?

I'll be at CoCoView for two weeks May 15-29. Have them bring you on over for what most folks call the best resort based shore dive. I'll buy the beers. Call CCV and ask for Miss Erin to arrange it- we'll do a shore dive... how 'bout at 8 pm Night Dive?

That sounds wonderful!! I thought you were leaving the same day we were coming in. I was wanting to have a critter interaction dive. BWT that certification is a wonderful idea.

CCV is to have a nice wall dive right off shore correct?

Thanks for the invite and we will see you there.

As a board search reveals, this is a frequently asked, and answered, question-->

http://www.scubaboard.com/search.php?searchid=285626

You may find post #7 in the following thread informative as regards bite prevention-->

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=52907&page=1&highlight=permethrin

While science has shown DEET to be the most effective repellant, in your case there is also the matter of having compromised skin due to a recent bout of Varicella. DEET should not be applied to damaged, injured or irritated skin, so you may need to fall back on the less effective but less pernicious botanicals like Cactus Juice. Whatever you select, read all warnings & directions for use with great care.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

scubaotter:
I was wanting to have a critter interaction dive. BWT that certification is a wonderful idea.

CCV is to have a nice wall dive right off shore correct?

Thanks for the invite and we will see you there.

Any and all are invited, more by the lovely environs!

Yes, CoCoView is the place you go for maximum resort based shore diving. Yup, they have world class custom boats with exclusive moon wells, but you should do a lot of shore diving.

Certainly after every 0900 and 1400 boat dive- do at least a short 'drop off' dive over the wreck to enhance your familiarity as you scuba back to your room. Then be ready at 2000 hours for the "mandatory" :eyebrow: Night Dive. Only a certifiable goose would miss one.

No other place in Roatan (or any of the Bay Islands) has this.

I believe it's the best resort based shore dive in the Caribbean.

See it before Roatan gets Caymanized and the shore diving deteriorates.

Next week will be fine. :D

i used deet sometimes and switched to baby oil. they both worked the same. no seeums can't penatrate the baby oil. deet was a repelent. baby oil is a little less harsh on your skin.

coolazul:
i used deet sometimes and switched to baby oil. they both worked the same. no seeums can't penatrate the baby oil. deet was a repelent. baby oil is a little less harsh on your skin.

I thought baby oil was for squeaky :11: babies!

Since you don't use it, can I have your DEET? :wink:

If you go out in the sun after applying baby oil you will severely burn your skin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom