cabo san lucas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you seem insistent on recommending dimenhydrate despite the cautions presented in post #6 above, I wonder if you would be so kind as to read & respond to the conclusions of the following study published in Pharmacotherapy 20(9):1051-1054, 2000:

"The Psychometric and Cardiac Effects of Dimenhydrinate in the Hyperbaric Environment

David McD. Taylor, M.D., Kevin S. O'Toole, M.D., Thomas E. Auble, Ph.D., Christopher M. Ryan, Ph.D., and David R. Sherman, R.N.

Abstract

Study Objectives. To examine the psychometric and cardiac effects of dimenhydrinate at 1 and 3 atmospheres (atm) of pressure (0 and 66 feet of sea water, respectively), and to make recommendations about the drug's safety in the diving environment.

Design. Double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study.
Setting. Monoplace hyperbaric chamber of a university hospital.

Subjects. Thirty active divers (mean age 38 yrs).
Interventions. A bank of seven tests was used to assess cognitive function during four different dive combinations: placebo-1 atm, placebo-3 atm, dimenhydrinate-1 atm, and dimenhydrinate-3 atm.

Measurements and Main Results. Heart rate and cardiac rhythm were recorded during all dives. Repeated-measures multivariate analysis of variance was used to analyze the effects of dimenhydrinate, depth, and drug-depth interaction. Dimenhydrinate resulted in a significant decrease in scores of mental flexibility (trail-making, part B, p<0.05) but had no effect on scores in the six other psychometric tests (p>0.05). It had no effect on mean heart rate (p>0.05), although frequent unifocal ventricular ectopic beats occurred in two subjects after ingestion of the drug. Depth resulted in a significant decrease in verbal memory test scores (p=0.001) and mean heart rate (p<0.001).

Conclusion. Dimenhydrinate adversely affects mental flexibility. This effect, when added to the adverse effect of depth on memory, may contribute to the dangers of diving."

Thank you.

DocVikingo

As I stated, one would need to try the drug out before diving and in small amounts. There are research studies that contradict the study that you have copied. Individuals have different reactions to different drugs....that is one reason that NSAID's are so plentiful....one may not work for me but it might be the best thing since sliced bread for you. I have taken 1/2 a dramamine before diving for over twelve years and have never suffered any questionable judgement situation.

I would not think that there have been sufficient double blind studies to conclusively forbid the use of dimenhydrate. You have the right to believe in homeopathic remedies but there is also no guarantee that a person would not have a reaction to the solutions that you have offered. Case in point, several years ago the rage was bee pollen........but if you happened to be allergic to the pollen that the bees gathered....you could have suffered some pretty nasty hives or worse.

I shall look to find a study that backs up the use of dimenhydrate when I have time and I will send that one to you.

As the study cited above is to the best of my knowledge the only assessment of the drug under conditions of increased atmospheres of pressure, I would be very much interested in research that backs up the use of dimenhydrate under actual scuba or conditions simulating scuba. As well as sending it to me, please post it to this thread. Thanks.

I agree that there have not been sufficient double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover studies to conclusively forbid the use of dimenhydrate while diving. However, it is the only motion sickness medication that has as yet been tested under hyperbaric conditions. As such, it's the best predictor that diving medicine has at the moment.

As for any belief in homeopathic remedies, a careful reading of my article shows that I did not endorse these, or any other treatments for that matter, but merely presented them for consideration. My conclusion was, "In the final analysis, you will need to discover what works best for you with the least risk, side effect, cost and inconvenience. If you take any medications, you should understand their adverse effects and carefully follow directions for use. And remember, there is one safe, sure cure: 'Sleep under a tree all day.' "

In any event, I'd much appreciate your prompt posting of properly scientific studies supporting the safety of dimenhydrate & diving as this obviously would affect the cautions that I, and others, routinely raise.

Again, thank you.

DocVikingo

From Gagal 04-21-04:

"Re: dymendydrinate

Hmmm, I don't see in my original post that I said "DO THIS". I stated that one should try it out in small doses. Just as you state you only suggested homeopathic treatments. Obviously we disagree on this point. I am in the middle of moving so I will be researching the issue when I relocate. Or better yet, why not pose the question to DAN?? Or Rodale's? Or are they not reputable enough for you??"

My response of 04-22-04:

"Assuming you mean "dimenhydrinate," I did not pose the question to DAN or Rodale's because of any concerns about their reputability, but rather because you were the one who stated, "I shall look to find a study that backs up the use of dimenhydrate when I have time and I will send that one to you." You are the one pressing the issue.

I already have adduced one piece of very solid science to support my position, so according to the general rules of intellectual engagement it seems that the ball is in your court.

I can appreciate that you are moving, so no hurry.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

PS: I will post this exchange to the board so that interested followers of the thread can see how it is evolving."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom