Cabo San Lucas Trip 25 Jun - 01 Jul

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sperbeck

New
Reaction score
My family and I are headed to Cabo San Lucas and we'd like to do some diving while we're there. I've done some research on the Internet about the local area and the dive shops that are there.
I'm an Open Water diver and no one else in my family is certified. There'll be a total of four of us diving. Can anyone recommend a good dive shop and if there are opportunities for the non-certified divers to dive?

sperbeck:
My family and I are headed to Cabo San Lucas and we'd like to do some diving while we're there. I've done some research on the Internet about the local area and the dive shops that are there.
I'm an Open Water diver and no one else in my family is certified. There'll be a total of four of us diving. Can anyone recommend a good dive shop and if there are opportunities for the non-certified divers to dive?

All of the dive shops there are good. They will all offer a "discover scuba" course for non-certified divers. End of June is a great time to go, as the water will be warmer and visibility greater than December-May.

In 2004, I used Baja-Dive, and had a good experience. This year, we used Land's End Divers, and had a great time. Both are on the Marina, near the dirt parking lot at the corner of Marina Blvd & Ave. Cabo San Lucas. I've also heard good things about "Deep Blue" (inside the Costa Real Bldg; formerly Plaza Las Glorias) and "Underwater Diversions" (a bit further north along the Marina).

Let me also recommend Solomon's Landing for lunch post-dive, the masseur at Solomon's Landing for a relaxing massage post-lunch, and a short walk over to Sea Queen restaurant for dessert post-massage (Chef Pablo at Sea Queen's pastry shop makes the best chocolate cake, tiramisu, tres leches cake, and apple tart we've ever had :11ztongue )

(edit added: P.S. And very hearty welcome to Scubaboard, even though I'm not an official greeter! :dazzler1: )

hd summed it up nicely for you, including the OOW (out-of-water) experiences. I went with Land's End Divers, and enjoyed it immensely. For another OOW experience, you may try the ATV tours. In that case, go on the last tour of the day, about 4pm, because you'll get the most time (the guides aren't rushing back to shepherd another group), and because it's cooler then.

Let me add that if you want a day-trip adventure, try Cabo Pulmo. It's about two hours via road north from Los Cabos. Most of the dive shops run vans, and you can also drive yourself. In either case, the last 30 minutes of road are primitive, but not dangerous. I very much enjoyed the marine life at Cabo Pulmo; that's now my gold standard for comparison. The area is a marine sanctuary (no fishing of any kind), so the critters are fat and happy. It's very slight drift diving over five fingers of a soft-coral reef, and quite suitable for beginners. There is also very good snorkeling at Mermaid Beach, five minutes from the "town" of Cabo Pulmo (pop. 110?), at which there are palapas for shade.

Enjoy! And welcome to Scubaboard. I've done almost all my pre-trip research through here, including valuable Cabo input from hd and others.

A few more comments:

In Cabo Pulmo, you can use Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort (the green two-story bldg, you can't miss it), or Cabo Pulmo Divers (past the green bldg, right next to the beach). I've heard bad things about Pepe's op, which is the first thing you'll see on the right as you drive into town. CPBR accepts credit cards. Everyone else is cash/travelers cheques. I used Cabo Pulmo Divers for my one day at Cabo Pulmo, though the visibility was bad that day. If you want to dive Cabo Pulmo, leave Cabo San Lucas early (e.g. before 8am)! You want to arrive at Cabo Pulmo by 9:30am. The best diving/snorkeling tends to be in the mornings before the wind picks up. Playa La Sirenita (Mermaid Beach) has great tidal pools, but it's a 5-10 minute drive (not walk!). Waters in Cabo Pulmo tend to run 5-10 F warmer than CSL. Water entry is backroll; be aware that exit is "no ladder; heave, kick, & wriggle onto the boat."

Closer to CSL: Bahia Santa Maria & Bahia Chileno are good snorkeling beaches, esp. along the southern (right) end. Approx. 13-15 km North of CSL. In CSL, good snorkeling on the south side of Lover's Beach (you need to take a water taxi to get there) and on Playa Balconcito (walk on the street towards the Solmar, stay left instead of going to the Solmar, past the Navy barrack, to the defunct tuna/sardine cannery. Then, walk out into the sand, just S of the cannery. There's a large Palapa at Balconcito). Only locals play at Balconcito, no tourists, no beach vendors. There's an old shipwreck about 50 ft from the beach, in about 6-8 ft of water, which is swarming with puffer fish, moorish idols, trumpetfish, etc. You might even spot a sea horse there.

If you use Land's End Divers, they are likely to offer you a discount for paying with cash as opposed to a credit card, and a discount for doing multiple dives. (My wife & I got a 10% 'frequent diver' discount without asking). Gonzalo (aka Chalo) may remember certifying my wife (she could do the PADI nitrogen tables better than he), and is likely to be the instructor for "discover scuba" for your group, unless the manager, Carlos, is around. All the DM's are quite good. Be aware that common practice in Baja is not as ecologically enlightened as one might wish (e.g. the DM's think nothing of feeding the fish in CSL).

Most of the dive ops in CSL do backroll entry and ladder exit (hand your weight belt up; hand your BCD up; take off your fins & climb). The Amigos del Mar boat is a multihull, and appears to have entry/exit platform, rather than ladder (e.g. easier exit)

The Fish House (very near the Marina & former Plaza Las Glorias) does the best "Huachinango Entero" (fried whole red snapper with spicy garlic salsa) we've ever had. You can ask them to give you a coupon for 'buy 2, get the 3rd entree' before paying, and use the coupon that day. Avoid their lobsters, though.

Avoid Lan's (chinese/asian fusion; in Plaza Bonita) like the plague.

Finally: Watch out for the timeshare vendors & learn to say "no gracias" unless you really want to waste your time (or buy a timeshare :wink: )

If I get my act together, I'll post a trip report w/ pictures from our trip (May 23-June 3) and a link to it.

Have a great time! We wish we were still there!

hd, although we may have overwhelmed sperbeck, below is my take on Los Cabos dive sites, from my lil' ol' website. Let me know how I could better edit this:

http://www.waynevermillion.com/images/Cabo/dBoatingSeaward.htm

Regarding timeshare vendors, I'm tempted to pay for a handful of t-shirts with the words "timeshare"/"tiempo compartido", overlaid with the universal, red "no" slash through the words, on both front and back, English and Spanish, respectively. And this from a guy who's a timeshare owner, who stayed in one on my last visit there...

WaterWayne:
hd, although we may have overwhelmed sperbeck, below is my take on Los Cabos dive sites, from my lil' ol' website. Let me know how I could better edit this:

http://www.waynevermillion.com/images/Cabo/dBoatingSeaward.htm

Regarding timeshare vendors, I'm tempted to pay for a handful of t-shirts with the words "timeshare"/"tiempo compartido", overlaid with the universal, red "no" slash through the words, on both front and back, English and Spanish, respectively. And this from a guy who's a timeshare owner, who stayed in one on my last visit there...

Wayne,

Great website & descriptions. I dove North Wall, Pelican Rock, & Land's End various times in various orientations. We did a daytrip to Cabo Pulmo, but the visibility was poor that day.

You & Sperbeck check out the pictures I took on my trip at http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/27621

I just need to select a dozen or so highlights, write some text, & organize for a real trip report...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom